Devastated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mediocrity Man, Apr 29, 2014.

1. I was thinking the same thing when I saw devastated like maybe someone's house burned down with all their prized, unreplaceable gear in it. Bummer the bass got damaged but he gets his money back and life goes on. There are other fish in the sea!

2. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Let the OP have his thread back & stop the crying... its relentless here sometimes.

To the OP- I waited 2 months for my Carvin build & got it the other day with a messed up pan & tone. Its going back to wait for a rebuild with some different specs, 2 more months!... Yeah it sucks but I'm going to rock my EBMMs in the meantime !! nice ! Keep rocking man

petrus61 likes this.
  3. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    A verb is an action, and an adjective is a state of being; devastated can be both a verb and an adjective, depending on the context, but in this case it's quite obviously an adjective.

Again, you'd do well to ask yourself why you're displaying so much self-righteous negativity over a such a trivial issue as a strangers choice of adjective...

Ikkir and petrus61 like this.
  4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Devastate. is. a. verb. Don't fight the English language. You can't win. The rules are all written down.

I'm not being self righteous nor negative. More kinda eye-rolly/eyebrow-archy in emoticon parlance. Just pointing out that the OP's situation isn't devastating. In fact, were he in a huff he'd be overreacting.

5. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    my bass arrived from germany in a wrecked box yet it was totally pristine.

but be real here, totally devastated would be having it arrive broken but not being able to have it sent back/replaced.

6. Cambridge Online Dictionary says "Devastated" is an adjective. In this usage it is clearly an adjective. As a past tense verb, the sentence: "The flood devastated instrument storage facilities in Nashville." I believe shows usage as a past tense verb. "Owners of flood-devastated vintage instruments in Nashville were emotionally devastated." Both times devastated is an adjective.

Don't fight Cambridge on the English language. The rules are written down and you can't win. Maybe you need to review them though, smcd.

7. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Nor will it likely change your behavior. Which may devastate some, annoy others, but perhaps enhance ennui in most.

squidtastic and MDBass like this.
  8. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Sucks, but I would hardly call this "devastating." You're getting your money back. You'll be ok, really. :crying:

9. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    all these middle-aged american gentlemen arguing over the rules of english - makes a young british guy proud.

now if you could all just watch where you put your apostrophes (it's = it is), we're top-notch. :D

tbz and Miskatonic like this.
  10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Wouldn't be a day on talk bass without an argument about semantics.

Sent from my iPad using TalkBass

MDBass and petrus61 like this.
  11. Post of the day award!

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I was going to post a half dozen dictionary definitions of "devastate", but that's taking a rocket ship to Offtopicland. You're wrong. Don't dig the hole deeper.

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yet despite the boredom, you still read and feel compelled to comment.

MHensleyJr likes this.
  14. How about we leave it at "You can't control or dictate other peoples' emotions..." There...BACK TO THE TOPIC.

15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    My eyes went to the OP's inconsistent spelling of devastated rather than the actual choice of words.

This thread is killing me. It actually makes me agree with SMCD not once, but twice. "Devastate" is not the best word choice here - nobody died, lost their job, or suffered a serious injury. Also, the OP said, "I'm devastated." Used in that way, devastated is a verb ("am devastated" is indicative present? 9th grade grammar class is miles behind me).

Really, though, I'd just like to see pictures of the damaged bass. Pictures might have kept this thread on topic.

16. I've noticed a pattern. smcd likes to cause trouble in pretty much every thread he posts in...time to see if this new forum setup has an "ignore" function...

...and found it! Now for a better browsing experience.

Craig82 likes this.
  17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398830126.072555.jpg

18. RJC1811

RJC1811

Nov 19, 2008
    Canandaigua, NY
    Overall I agree with smcd, it sucks, I'm pissed, miffed, stiffed, whatever you want to call it but far from devastated.

I think Tunaman has the right perspective "yeah it sucks but lets move on and Keep rocking man"

And Spectrum, you took the time to check out scmd's posts? The world is pretty vanilla without a dissenting point of view. I actually think it was beneficial to the OP for someone to put things in perspective. Maybe a light bulb went on like "oh yeah, it's just a bass, I'll find another. Wow it must be devastating to live in Syria right now in the midst of a civil war"

19. rapsoncha

rapsoncha

Apr 29, 2014
    you might look there if you're going to get another.[​IMG]

20. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    It will be okay OP! You'll get your money back and will obtain an amazing bass before long. You'll be slapping, popping, tapping, walking, and grooving in no time.

Also, the thing about feelings is that they are really chemicals in your brain. One may have a higher threshold for "devastation" than someone else, but the qualia is ostensibly the same. A given degree of happy in one person is equivalent to that same degree of happy in another, likewise with sadness, no matter the cause. You may haughtily judge the cause of the feelings, but don't deligitimize the reality of the suffering.

And we don't know that much about the OP. What if he was saving for this particular bass, scrounging up for months to get the disposable income to get it and now has to wait longer still? It still might not qualify as a reason for devastation for the arbiters of emotion on this thread, but it would give more depth as to why the OP is so distraught.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021