Devastated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mediocrity Man, Apr 29, 2014.

1. radicaldreamers

radicaldreamers

Apr 21, 2014
    I'd have been decidedly put-out.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I recently got a $5000 bass back from the tech with a spot of conductive paint on the front.

I honestly wasn't even that bothered. I most definitely was not "devastated." What was I going to do complain? It was a nitro bass and a refinish is overkill for a speck of paint.

(I know how much this would rile up some TB members and it made me laugh)

Now, back to the pointless arguing.

3. And to think threads use to get locked

4. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Apparently exaggeration wasn't taught as a literary technique to some people in high school English.

To the OP, it sucks that it happened, but it is awesome that you managed to get a full refund. I've heard some horror stories about people trying to get refunds for damaged basses. Best of luck.

5. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    some of us are canucks:thumbsup:

6. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Livingston, MT
    God I hate everything about this thread.

But I think there's one thing we can all empathize with; there are some instruments we lust after more than any other, for no real logical reason. Due to time, circumstance, celestial alignment, etc., we're prevented from buying that instrument for months, or even years. I remember a Schecter strat, made back when Schecter was a CA custom shop, that had the fullest tone I've ever heard out of an electric guitar. That's not hyperbole. Flick it to the neck, hit one note, and the entire room would overflow with sound. I even worked with someone who knew Dave Schecter personally (apparently he's a rather cantankerous dude) so I could get work done on it by the man himself. And it was only $800!

Which was about $750 more than I had. This was several years ago, but I still kick myself for not selling an organ to buy it.

My point is we can all be "devastated" for different reasons. There's no logic, no reason as to what triggers it. When you find "the one" and it slips through your fingers, that really, really sucks.

And stop arguing semantics. This is the internet. You won't solve anything, and you'll probably give yourself a concussion banging your head against your keyboard.

Splods and Mediocrity Man like this.
  7. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    OMG!

What in the world happened while I was gone? ;-)

I'm okay guys really. I wanted this bass and it's busted. My budget is tight so I had to settle for a euro and that's okay. It will be a pain to find another and that's okay too. I was just expressing myself and maybe looking for a touch of sympathy.

Maybe a new Sterling Ray4 instead? ;-)

I don't know.

G

8. Do you mean an SBMM Ray34? Can't go wrong with that! Excellent basses. :D

9. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    TBH just watch the forums. You'll see a Euro 4 or Euro 4 LX for $850 - $950 soon enough.

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  10. Yeah. It's tax time. :D Should easily be able to find something.

11. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Damn. Where's that popcorn-eating emoticon? Can't find it on this new TB format. I'm....(wait for it)....devastated that I can't find it.

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Unfortunately not everyone can afford to be so flippant about this sort of stuff. I know that some people on here have multiple thousands of $ worth of equipment, but for others, $800 is months or years worth of saving, and when you have saved for that long and set your heart on a particular instrument, and then when it turns up it is damaged, it can be upsetting.

A verb is a 'doing' word, or an action. 'Devastate' is a verb, as in 'the air strike will devastate the convoy'.

An adjective is a 'describing' word. 'Devastated' is an adjective, because it describes the results of an action, as in 'the air strike devastated the convoy'. In the sentence 'I feel devastated', 'feel' is the verb, because it the action and 'devastated' is the adjective because it describes how the action is being done, in the same way that if the sentence was 'I feel happy', 'happy' would be the adjective because it describes how the verb is being done.

13. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    Not that credentials typically matter too much here on the internet, but I finished within the past 3 months a course on the language of middle to late English Literature and Studies that lasted roughly four years of my higher education. Grammar of this sort doesn't tend to come up on a bass forum often, but I'll go ahead and tell you that you're for sure mistaken. In the instance you described you were correct, however the word 'devastated' can function situationally as either a verb or adjective, though it is more common to see it as an adjective.

For example, "The irrelevant comments devastated the individual reading the forum." A bit of a stretch, but its grammatically proper.

To the OP. Sorry to further derail from the topic. I highly recommend the EBMM for that price range. If you're open to Fenders I'd also look at the American Special or Road Worm runs. Either can be found used in that range, and I *think* that the American Specials can be found for $800 new, though I haven't checked as of late. The Ibanez Premiums also can be in that range and they're stellar basses.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Is it just me, or...

15. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Sorry it happened. Crap does. You will survive....................

16. the comments in this thread are devastating the talkbass community.

17. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    I actually lost all of my musical equipment in the September floods in Colorado. Oh, and also my house, two out of three cars, and about 80 percent of my possessions, including all of my childhood memorabilia as well as my children's memorabilia. I didn't have flood insurance since I wasn't even in the 1000 year flood plain. Needless to say, I'm still devastated.

18. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    Latest news...

I'm totally over it. :)

Splods likes this.
  19. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Inactive

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    :rollno:

20. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yo, Gary, pick your words more carefully, man. Look how many people you upset. You really left behind some devastation with your remarks. (noun) Your remarks devastated the talk bass community. (verb). I, personally, feel devaststed. (adjective)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021