1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Develop speed - playing riffs

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by oystein, Aug 23, 2007.

1. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hi, this topic may have been covered before. I am working on project where our piano player has made some nice arrangements for a couple of tunes. Part of it has written out bass lines, especially some unisonous and polyphonic riffs for bass, piano and guitar.
    My problem is that I have to develop more speed to play these riffs. I am still rusty after a major wrist surgery last year and generally less playing last 2 years.
    Does anyone have a good method to build up more speed and still retain control and musicality. The riffs are mostly eight notes and triplets. I can play them quite well in a slow speed, have them memorized and have figured out all the fingering, but need more speed.

Thanks, Oystein

2. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    gezz, sorry about the wrist surgery.

if your left hand (fingering hand) ain't makin it the right hand (plucking hand) won't enter into the equation.

if you are truly articulating all the pitches well with your left hand, slowly increase the tempo until you get there.

3. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    A major speed bump with the right hand can be string crossings. A common method to overcoming this is taking a book like Frederick Zimmermann's "Contemporary Concept of Bowing Technique for the Double Bass" (Hal-Leonard) and playing the 2-note exercises on the G & D strings; making sure to alternate your fingers on every note (assuming you're using a two fingered technique).

With the left hand if you're having trouble with fingerings, try using dotted rhythms. By that I mean play the eighth notes as dotted eighth to sixteenths and then once you have that play them as sixteenths to dotted eighths.

Of course with both of these, start slow and use a metronome.

4. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Please let me elaborate a little. My wrist is ok, but will never be the same as before the fracture and the reopening/reposition, which is understandable when you see the x-ray(enclosed). I have had to adjusted my technique though. View attachment wrist4.pdf

What I am looking for is a systematic approach to building speed, particularly for riffs and solos. I know there are no shortcuts, only hard work:D . What I do now is playing the riffs with the metronome gradually increasing the tempo. First I play with the metronome on each quarter note then on 2 and 4.
    I will certainly look into the string crossing issue, that may slow me down.

oystein