Developing 3 finger RH technique- a personal oddity

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vindibona1, Apr 28, 2019.

1. I've been working on right hand technique for awhile and focused on using the traditional 2 fingier I-M plucking. It's going well and I can feel some natural speed devloping, though still a work in progress. But there are some tunes that I thought/think could benefit from using 3 fingers on the right hand ala Billy Sheehan.

As I watched Billy's basic 3 finger tutorial he advocates learning to pluck 1-2-3-1-2-3 etc simile and adapt to groups of 2 and 4 notes with the three fingers. I get that. But somehow my hand wants to do 3-2-1-3-2-1 which feels more natural and is more even sounding, though I can do 1-2-3 as well, but not as smoothly.

No, I'm not giving up alternating I-M but want a three finger technique in my bag as I know it's going to help me at times for speed and endurance.

Thoughts?

2. Semi Actuated

Semi Actuated

Jun 29, 2015
    If by "3-2-1" you mean start with the ring finger then middle then index then continue that pattern starting with the ring again-I thought that is Billy Sheehan's technique.

3. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    You probably mean a,m,i...conventionally:
    Thumb is p,
    Index is i,
    Middle is m,
    Ring is a,
    Small is c.

I think you can and should practice both.
    You can also practice using your thumb and other patterns.

4. It's been awhile since I watched the Billy tutorials. Perhaps I missed it. I'll have to go back and rewatch. Sure would be cool and a validation of that process if Billy does do it that way :).

Yep... A/M/I. Funny, my first guitar lesson back (in the Peter Paul and Mary days) was finger folks style and the first lesson was describing PIMA... he didn't mention C- and until this moment I didn't know the designation of the pinky :). Thanks for that. As I look back my grandmother chose my guitar teacher and I spent the first year or so learning to play right hand fingers only. Probably the best way that I could have gotten started. I didn't not learn classical right hand (which is a shame), but interestingly, the alternating I/M on bass is helping me with that. I find that when I pick up my electric guitar and I'm too lazy to grab a pick I can do stuff with my fingers that I never could do before. While not bass related, check out the guitar player in this video (bass and drummer ain't too shabby neigther!)...

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021