Developing 3 finger RH technique- a personal oddity

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vindibona1, Apr 28, 2019.

1. I've been working on right hand technique for awhile and focused on using the traditional 2 fingier I-M plucking. It's going well and I can feel some natural speed devloping, though still a work in progress. But there are some tunes that I thought/think could benefit from using 3 fingers on the right hand ala Billy Sheehan.

As I watched Billy's basic 3 finger tutorial he advocates learning to pluck 1-2-3-1-2-3 etc simile and adapt to groups of 2 and 4 notes with the three fingers. I get that. But somehow my hand wants to do 3-2-1-3-2-1 which feels more natural and is more even sounding, though I can do 1-2-3 as well, but not as smoothly.

No, I'm not giving up alternating I-M but want a three finger technique in my bag as I know it's going to help me at times for speed and endurance.

Thoughts?

2. Semi Actuated

Semi Actuated

Jun 29, 2015
    If by "3-2-1" you mean start with the ring finger then middle then index then continue that pattern starting with the ring again-I thought that is Billy Sheehan's technique.

3. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    You probably mean a,m,i...conventionally:
    Thumb is p,
    Index is i,
    Middle is m,
    Ring is a,
    Small is c.

I think you can and should practice both.
    You can also practice using your thumb and other patterns.

4. It's been awhile since I watched the Billy tutorials. Perhaps I missed it. I'll have to go back and rewatch. Sure would be cool and a validation of that process if Billy does do it that way :).

Yep... A/M/I. Funny, my first guitar lesson back (in the Peter Paul and Mary days) was finger folks style and the first lesson was describing PIMA... he didn't mention C- and until this moment I didn't know the designation of the pinky :). Thanks for that. As I look back my grandmother chose my guitar teacher and I spent the first year or so learning to play right hand fingers only. Probably the best way that I could have gotten started. I didn't not learn classical right hand (which is a shame), but interestingly, the alternating I/M on bass is helping me with that. I find that when I pick up my electric guitar and I'm too lazy to grab a pick I can do stuff with my fingers that I never could do before. While not bass related, check out the guitar player in this video (bass and drummer ain't too shabby neigther!)...