Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Developing a good groove

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by spikesstickies, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Hey peeps, got a little problem here, see if you could help me solve it. Over and over again i am acustomed to playing the same groove over and over again. Is there a way of developing a good grove, any good websites about developing a good groove. Cheers

Spike:bassist:

2. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Um, the way I see it, it all comes from within... regardless of how many websites there are out there.
    Peace.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

True, but if you can combine "within" with a knowlegde... there is no stopping you. Music is an artform, and art comes from within, but learning how to convey yourself and have it look/sound "good" take work.

I'd recommend gaining and understanding of rhythmic notation if you want to groove. This will help with the Technically aspects

To gain groove within as our pyro friend suggested, LISTEN! It helped me tremendously. Listen to groove oriented music. Old school funk. It might make you laugh at first, if this isn't your bag, but it helps a lot.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good grooves are supposed to be repetitious.

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    STAY AWAY FROM THE INTERNET:eek: spend some time with your bass and a drum machine

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree with everything you said, Matt(for once).
    ;)

If we only stayed "within" ourselves...there would be some very limited/bored players out there.
    There are times we need to re-invent ourselves.
    Get out of the comfort zone that we find so relatable.

I would say a "good groove" has consistency & breathes...that doesn't always mean repetition.
    I mean, a groove like "Sex Machine"...sure, Collins' groove may sound like "repetition" but it isn't.
    He varies where & how the notes/rests/accents fall...that is, sometimes he stresses different parts of the beat, sometimes he displaces & "rests" on certain beats. Basically, he's improvin' & interacting with the band while cookin' a stew with notes, rests, ghosted noted notes, etc.
    In other words-
    Groove.

7. hmmm alright i'll try it out thanks anyway everyone. Oh by the way checked out i'll survive by cake. It has quite an interesting groove but yeah cheers everyone.;)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was going to disagree with the repetitious thing but you already laid out why;)

Real listening* can reveal the nuances that can really propel a groove. "Sex Machine" is an excellent example (as if you give any other kind;)). It's basically octaves, it's where Bootsy puts them that makes the song groove so hard, along with not stepping all over the other very critical to the mix instruments.

* Real listening is sitting back, shutting up and paying attention to EVERYTHING about the song. Again... actually paying attention is key.

9. Slowcow

Slowcow

Jun 15, 2003
    Denmark
    Hey there... I'm pretty new in here, amd my english is not very good, but I am very interested in the subject "groove".
    I belive there is two impotant matters in the subject groove. Number one is rhythm and the next thing is how the groove fit in to the rest of the band.

When I develope a groove I plug in the bass, starts my metronom and starts jammin over some simple chords and scales. I like the interval between the third and the fifth in both minor and majorscales. I like to skip between the lower notes and higher notes to make my groove interesting. I like to shift ryhtm patterns in the same groove.. like making a shift from the lower notes to the higher notes more intense by maing a more quick and agressive rythm.

But just plug yor bass in and start jammin.

Once agian i excuse my bad english... if this had been in danish i would be able to express my self a lot better.. but i hope you can use some of my stuff.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I know, it's scary at first Jim, but it happens to the best of us sometimes. Just remeber to breathe. :D

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Well, when I played the same groove over and over again it's because I didn't know where to go next because I didn't understand the fretboard and theory so I coulndn't improvise to groove I was playing. I develop a groove natuarally or try to stick with trhe guitar if playing in a band setting, take notice of the notes I am playing then use thoery to know what will go with it to expand on it. Get lessons, study the instruction and technique forums off TB as well.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FME-
    The drummer is 'my man'...ya think a guitarist is gonna know more about groove/rhythm than a drummer?!
    Not in my little corner.
    ;)

An aside-
    I once saw this clinic with Larry Bright(drummer; very Dennis Chambers-esque), Gary Grainger(bass; ex-Scofield & Funk group Pockets) & Carl Filipiak(guitar; cool player ala Mike Stern).

Bright & Grainger tell us they want to demonstrate playing 'in' & 'against' the beat.
    First they play 'in'.
    Then, Grainger displaces his groove.
    Grainger goes back 'in'...Bright displaces his groove.
    Then they both displace & all Hell breaks loose.

After that all too brief demo-
    Filipiak asks, "Guys, was I even close"?

;)

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The cool thing about a bass/drum groove is that, if done right, you can put damn near anything on top of it;)

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Exactly!
    ;)

15. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I agree with the suggestions to listen. I'd like to add that you should pay careful attention to note duration. Silence can propel a groove just as well as notes can. I like to use an active approach to silence (for lack of a better word). :eek:

What I'm trying to say is that if I'm letting a note ring I PLAY the rest that follows. It's almost like playing the silence as a note. I hope I'm being clear here.

Another thing that helps me groove is to mute a note with the 2 fingers (index and ring) of my plucking hand. This usually happens on the beat and has the effect of muting the note I just played and putting a bit of a ghost note / click on the beat. It also helps me feel the pulse of the time better.

16. do you mean something like syncopation or stuff like that?