1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Developing a safe left hand technique (BENT WRIST IS BAD, MKAY)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HaVIC5, May 8, 2010.

1. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Hey all, just thought you might like to check out my overview of my left hand (fretting hand) philosophy for a safe physical approach to bass.

I cover a lot in the video, including concepts that aren't generally discussed in the pedagogy (thumb left of the index finger), but are nonetheless used extremely frequently. If you're struggling with any aspect of left hand position, wrist placement and fear/cases of injury, I strongly suggest you take a look at this video. My approach definitely spared me some serious injury and discomfort.

Enjoy!

2. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Great vid, I was wondering why my thumb would hurt haha

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Great lesson and well presented. :)

4. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    I do think however that for people with short fingers like me, the C shape works best around the 12th fret, otherwise my wrist hurts. I think your thumb should change position based on where your wrist is pointed

That's my uneducated opinion haha

5. yehongxiang

yehongxiang

Dec 15, 2009
    Singapore
    My hands and some girls thank you for the wonderful lesson.

6. I really like your thinking behind the thumb position in the lower registers.

I've found that I'll end up with a bit of cramping in the meat of my thumb if I have to play repetitive intricate lines down there, so I'll see if it helps to bring my thumb outside of my pointer.

As an aside...I browsed through a couple more of your videos and I really like how you're approaching things as well as how you explain the ideas in words and by examples.

I've been in an improv rut, and in just a few minutes you've already given me additional ideas on phrasing things.

7. SSINTENSE

SSINTENSE

Jun 6, 2005
    This is very informative. I always have found myself unsure of what to do with my thumb. Thanks alot!

8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Great Info, your bookmarked and will be cited as a good example to follow...glad to see neutral thumb position being used and explained. If you need any additional info drop me a line.:)

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Kudos! there are so many YouTube "lessons" out there with crap left hand advice. This kind of advice is sorely needed for beginners, and ought to be stickied IMHO.

that link now be my stock repose to any LH technique questions :)

10. Starburst

Starburst

Aug 18, 2007
    Very much agreed!;)

11. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1 for this being stickied.

12. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    count me in +2

13. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I have sent a P.M. to the Mods asking for it to be stickied.

14. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    ill check this out tonight, after breaking my left wrist im much more cautious of its injury rate

15. Pottish

Pottish

Nov 28, 2008
    Just what I wanted to find after spraining my left wrist thank you :)

I'm guessing by the positive response this is indeed good advice.

16. You didn't break it playing bass, I trust (hope!)

17. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    BUMP.

18. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

May 13, 2010
    Wow, thank you for that! Very useful, those are the videos/information that I need right now. I don't have the time, but hopefully you have something equally in depth about right hand (plucking) technique.

19. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

Mods : Can I take five days without a reply either way, to be a NO !! ?

20. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Have a look at this :