Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Developing a "Street Team"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chaosMK, Sep 6, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I remember when I was living in Miami and playing in the scene down there, one of the most popular bands at the time (got signed by Roadrunner, broke up before anything could be produced. very sad tale!) "Twice the Sun" had a really strong Street Team that helped them with the dirty work of promotion. The street team eventually became a national thing, but it wasnt longer that the band fizzled out. I was never a part of it, but probably the rewards were access to the band and freebies.

Has anyone else pulled together/run anything like this? I am looking to start one for my latest band (myspace.com/leftbrainband.. cool video recently put together) and advice would be great. Thanks! :bassist:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    First of all, nobody likes a street team. One this is firmly ingrained into all participants heads, you may begin.

Nobody likes a Street Team - I.E. agressive spammers; the best results I've seen from street teams is a very laid back approach. Make sure they bring up the band casually, y'know, like they would anything else. Pretty easy to get turned off on a band because their street team was spamming the heck out your performance parts board, or something.

Get people with good people skills. Y'know, who are just talking with the kids outside the Mall, and just happens to bring up a show he's going to. Not "HELLO POTENTIAL CONSUMERS!" The people skills is importan. As a facet of this, they aren't JUST your street team, they're your friends who just happen to occasionally pass out fliers and stuff. This is how you keep a street team. Because like I said, nobody likes a Street Team.

Locally, just have someone who is willing to put up fliers, or hand out fliers at other shows *of related music types!* That's important. Handing out black metal fliers at an acoustic indie show isn't goint go get you far. The street preacher approach isn't so great in person. Know the target demograph.

Compensate. Street teams get free swag, into shows for free, that sort of thing.

Coordinate who does what were, who is ON the Streat Team, who is just putting the word out, and whatnot.

Don't be in a band that sucks. This may seem obvious, but after a while, it should be pretty apparent what's going on.

KNOW, personally, the people on the street team. Find out about them, hang out with them, sleep with their sister/brother, whatever. You don't want an ultra-rabid groupie doing things. Why? Because they don't usually take too well to "The Goatblowers are a terrible band, why would I wanna see that crap?" comments too well. Poorly, in fact. They might cry, get violent, whatever. You don't want your steet team beating down on some dude just because he insulted The Band. You don't want the street team screaming and arguing at the top of their lungs in public. Again, laid back; "Not a Goatblowers fan? Whatever, dude," and on to the next person/place.

Other than that, make sure your fliers/posters have good directions and/or information.

And don't be in a band that sucks. That's really important; enough to repeat. Nothing is worse, ever, period, than a street team for someone who sucks. The Creed street teams probably know this better than anyone.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Get a black van, various "B" list television/movie actors, and chrome-plated automatic rifles. Also make sure one or more have recognizable tag lines like, "I pity the fool." Wait, you said street team! I thought it was "A" Team!

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the response, great advice!

5. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Street teams can do amazing things. I play for Sarah Bettens, and we just finished a European tour. We headlined shows in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland, France, etc...
    Our street teams were responsible for much of the promo, and even put some of the shows together. We played to sell out and near sell out crowds, every night. It's been a great success.
    If you work with a promo professional, who is experienced at street team orginization, you can yield great results.
    Oh yeah, and don't be in a band that sucks!

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I helped to 'promote' some shows for Particle when they were just spreading out in CA (boy do they have some Amazing management). I think it's a great way for newer bands to get the word out there and it's a step in the right direction to gaining an actual 'following'. All you really have to do as a band is print up the posters/advertising/materials and mail it to your 'biggest fan' in the towns where you will soon be playing.