Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Developing rhythm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kragen, Dec 14, 2005.

1. kragen

kragen

Jul 4, 2005
    Bath
    I'm trying to play the bassline to crossroads by cream (I havnt been playing that long and so its relatively challenging, but i've been getting through it slowly). I've gotten to the 12 bars underneath the first solo (learning from a tab - think its bar 50), The rhythm there is quite complex, in particular it starts the bar on the off-beat. I'm having a little trouble with the timing and realised when i slowed it down I wasnt able to count and play at the same time (even as slow as 40 bpm)

My question is - how do I develop my timing / rhythm - should I just find things to play while counting to a metronome, or is there a more effective method.

I can play (in time) with the music playing in the background, but im worried that as soon as I havnt got the bassline being played quietly to keep me in time, I will get lost unless I develop my timing.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sounds like you're wanting to internalize 'time' & your clock.
    There's a similar thread around here(Ed Friedland has been chiming in with suggestions).

Way early in one's developement, it's pretty easy to grasp playing on the "1"...playing figures/phrases that begin on the "& of 1" or the "e of 1" takes work(at least for me it did).

A simple thing to try is to play straight 1/4 notes WITH your metronome or click track.
    Click = l1---2---3---4---l
    You play- l1---2---3---4---l (maybe lG---B---C---D---l or lG---E---F---F#---l

Next, try playing 1/4 notes AGAINST your metronome/click track.
    Click = l1---2---3---4---l

You play the UPBEATS l--&---&---&---&-l

Go slow, concentrate & think...this will not come over night.

Also-
    Cream's "Crossroads" is a difficult piece; lotta Bruce jamming.
    "Roxanne" by The Police is a fairly simple tune to practice UPBEATS.

3. lawrens

lawrens

Nov 26, 2005
    france
    sometime ago i had the same problem, so i decide to learn the different rythmic possibilities, specially with the 1/16 notes figures...
    just take a piece of paper music and write four 1/16 for one beat; then,you combine these 4 notes in all possible ways, eliminating the first, then the second, etc :D

hope this help

4. lawrens

lawrens

Nov 26, 2005
    france
    sorry, i forgot : you combine notes and silences :D