Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

development of a bass line

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 12, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i hav e written a few songs, and i am trying to try and develop a few basslines to go witht the lyrics, before me and me band play together, any tips: e.g should the line follow the lyrics, or just use it as a tone fill-in. I mean at the moment we are playing songs like stairway to heaven. I have written a song about not being able to tell a girl i want her. A bit like wonderwall. Help!

Also are there any sites where my material can be read by people to be evaluated?
    cheers.

2. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Usually when one has the lyrics and guitar parts already written, the bassline tends to be simple and complements the melody in a rather uncomplicated manner, especially with rock/alternative songs. This means just playing the chords and going along with the beat. Good bass-driven songs generally start with the bassist and the drummer getting together and laying down a great foundation, with the guitar and lyrics adding ornementation.

3. The first original song we ever played was written by our guitarist/drummer #1, and he already had a basic bass line written for the song, so that didn't give me too much freedom. But the next song he wrote, he came to me and said "I need you to write a bass line for this song." He played it, and while he was playing it, I got a basic bass line running through my mind. Then I told him to play it again and I played along with the line that had been going through my head. That's pretty much how I work. If I hear a song where there is no bass (egad! :eek: ) or if the bass is barely audible, I usually start making up one in my mind as I go.

Unfortunately for me, I still don't know very much theory, so sitting down with one of our drummers and coming up with a bass line is still really awkward for me, but not impossible. :)