1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Device available to limit power output to prevent speaker damage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gladowsky, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    I need some professional advice on how to protect my Bag End 2x10 from being damaged again. Before I go any further, replacing my amp and cabinet are not an option. I am very pleased with the sound of both and cannot afford to buy more equipment.

The D10BX-D (2x10) speaker is rated at 400W continuous at 4ohms. I also have a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 amp that I am thrilled with (sound/features/great compressor/etc). It's power output is 600 watts into 4ohms. During a very loud concert I damaged one of the speakers. I will not use if for that venue again, but after I replace one or both speakers I want to ensure that the amp does not spike into the danger zone again. I will use the compressor's threshold setting and keep the volume reasonable but - Is there a devise that limits the power output?

I do not want to color the sound, only protect the speakers from incidental power amp surges.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's called a limiter, which is similar to a compressor. They're seldom sold separately, are usually part of a multi-device like a compressor/limiter or loudspeaker management system, such as DBX DriveRack. They also can be found in newer power amps with built in DSP, like Crown Xti. But IMO your main problem is trying to get too much from a 2x10. Add another.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 add a 2nd 210 and you're set. In the meantime, the easiest, and cheapest way to protect your speakers, is to NOT crank the low end or the volume very much. Use your ears, the speakers were talking to you, but you didn't listen.

4. In addition to the above, if I know I'm going to play loud I use a pre/power setup that allows me to set the amount of power going out to the speakers using the power amp's DSP (crown ITech 4000, I think other power amps might have this feature as well). I don't know if there is a standalone device that does the same.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020