Device for daisy chaining speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YosemiteSam, Jul 9, 2005.

1. I have two 8ohm cabs I'd like to daisy chain in parallel to have a 4ohm load. Does anyone make a device that will do this without me having to wire in a new jack? I'm thinking even a properly constructed Y cable would do it. Has anyone tried this?

-- Sam
  2. Are you saying that none of your cabs or your amp have parallell speaker jacks? If not I think a simple 1/4 inch Y plug would work. I wonder if there is anything better myself?
  3. Kee-rect. If you want bridged mono power you can use only one output on the amp (Stewart PA-200B).

In a similar vein, if I had something with binding post outputs, could I just wire two 8ohm cabs to the posts and get 4ohms?

-- Sam
  4. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Look for a biamp cable.
  5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I'll bite. What exactly is a 'biamp cable' ?
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

those binding post/double male bananna jacks for plugging into the back of the stewart are stackable. have a look at one and you'll notice holes in the back where you can plug a second one in.
  7. Actually, my Stewart has 1/4" outputs...

Thanks for the thoughts, though!

-- Sam
  8. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I never could figure the Stewart input/output plug logic until I got a TubeWorks amp. What you need is to install a parallel jack in one of your cabs (surprised they don't have one) or make up a true parallel splitter cord. Or box thingy to make it easier to set up. It is funny that Stewart , Genz and others made such a non-standard auto-bridge setup but I'll bet it has saved them a bunch of warrantee work. Myself, I'd go for the plug on your cab. Don't hurt nothing when you don't need it and nothing else to forget to bring. The other thing is, you CAN run it in stereo with two cabs and a mono input. That is probly what they meant for you to do. Almost all pre's and effects have stereo outputs.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If your Stewart is racked, then add a 1 space rack panel and wire up two jacks in parallel. Then connect that to the 1/4 out on the Stewart using a 1/4 inch to bare wire.

In effect it's making a Y cord but in a more rugged configuration. If you don't like the rack panel idea, you can also mount the jacks directly to the side of your rack.

A sound company that I worked with used to do that. We'd use large twist lock (220V electrical outlets and plugs) for the bass bins, the next size down for the low mids, the next size down for the upper mids and the next size down for the tops. We let the connectors directly into the sides of our power racks and then used the same connectors on the appropriate bins. That way a drunken/disadvantaged roadie could wire up the mains without the possibility of plugging the low end power into the horns ... You can guess how we arrived at that setup. ...gets expensive after a while ...
  10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That biamp cable is Speakon and is expecting 2 separate circuits to be driving it. More or less, it's two cables in one housing at one end, two in the other. Not really applicable here ...
  11. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Email to Todd at Procables N Sound. Tell him your problem & he'll come up with a solution. Biamp cable with 1/4" plugs all around? Shouldn't be a problem. Good guy, good company,high quality, & fair prices.
  12. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yes that one is Speakon, I was just showing an example of what a biamp cable is. They can be found with all 1/4" ends. Notice in the write up on the website that they say it is also perfect for heads with only one speakon connector driving into two cabs.

This would run both cabs into one one jack on the amp, which should accomplish what the OP is looking for.