Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Devil Went Down to Georgia

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by BassAxe, Nov 3, 2002.

1. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm looking for the tabs for the violin part. I know you can't have tabs for violin since frets are essential for tabs. I'm talking about the melody, regardless of which instrument you play it on.

I'm not looking for the bass part. Either the Charlie Daniels Band, Mike Rayburn, or Primus versions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Tab is instrument specific by design - it's a diagram of where to play the notes on a particular instrument.

Maybe you could try this midi file instead - I can't comment on its quality, but if you load it into a midi sequencer it will give you the notes and if your reading of notation isn't good, you can slow it down to pick up the melody without losing any quality.

Wulf

3. Jay61581

Jay61581

Aug 7, 2002
    Nucla Colorado
    Yeah Ive been looking for that too, Ive always wanted to attempt to play it on bass

4. this is sort of off topic, but i saw the les claypool frog brigade a few days ago, and opening for them was this kick ass band called deadweight. they ended their show with that (the band consists of a drummer, violinist, and cellist) as soon as their set ended, i bought a cd, they're REALLY awesome. i just thought i should have more people know about them.

5. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Cool! Sounds like the kind of stuff I have been getting into, lately. Apocalyptica, for example.

You know, I first heard of Primus when I saw them open for U2 on U2's Zoo TV tour (when they started getting weird). Primus kicked ass! That was shortly after I started learning bass, so I really took notice. As far as I was concerned, when Primus left the stage the show was over. Everything U2 did after that was just a noisy lightbulb presentation.

A band I like to turn people on to is Big Blow and the Bushwackers. Here's their website:

http://www.bigblowandthebushwackers.com

It's like Celtic rock with didjureedoo, mandolin, and no guitars.

I'll keep an eye out for Dead Weight.

PRIMUS SUCKS!!!

6. i forgot what their website was, but you can find it on www.lesclaypool.com i think it's in the news section where they tell you about the tour.

7. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
  8. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I bought the sheet music this weekend for Devil Went Down to Georgia. I'm working on adapting it to tab for 4 string bass in standard tuning.

It is slow going because my sheetmusic reading abilities are rusty and I have to think back in forth in both bass clef and treble clef. It kinda makes me wish I had taken piano lessons in addition to violin, way back when.

I'll try to make the outcome available when I'm finished.