Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeVilli Or Merano?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Donald, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Donald

Donald

Jan 29, 2006
    Bellingham Wa
    I'm intested in getting a UB after playing electric for several years. But i'm on a very tight budget. I have read through the forums hoping to find some information on one of these two basses. Are they even worth my time?
    DeVilli Upright Bass with Ebony Fingerboard
    With Free Bow and Free Shipping !
    Great for All Styles !!
    Classical, Jazz, Rock and of course, BLUEGRASS !!

SET UP BEFORE SHIPPING !
    *3/4 (standard) Size
    *Select Spruce Top !
    *Maple Back and Sides!
    *Suitable for Beginners as well as the Pro !!
    GREAT SOUND!!
    FEATURES:
    -Warm Amber Gloss Finish!
    -Double Kerfing!
    -Arched Back Construction !!
    -24:1 ratio Tyrolean-style Machine Heads for precise, easy tuning !!
    -EBONY Fingerboard, will not warp from climate changes !!
    -Aged Northern Maple Bridge!!
    -Padded Nylon Carrying Case
    -FREE Bow Included !!
    Body is made of Fine Instrument-Grade Maple and Spruce built withstand the rigors of life on the Road!!
    RETAIL VALUE is $1000.00 !!
    With Free Bow - $80 Value
    Only $529.00
    ==========================
    Merano 3/4 size Upright Bass Outfit

Free BOW & FREE Shipping!
    Great for All Styles !!
    Classical, Jazz, Rock and of course, BLUEGRASS !!
    SET UP BEFORE SHIPPING !!!

Has Adjustable Bridge to Raise String Height Up and Down so this bass can be used for all Music Styles !

This is our newest bass and by far, the BEST VALUE we have. This Bass not only has an adjustable bridge to raise the string height up and down as you please, it has an EBONY Fingerboard, FLAMED Maple Back and Sides and Upgraded Tuners !!

2 Tuners mounted to brass plate on each side which hold tune much better than other tuning machines!!
    *3/4 Size
    *Select Spruce Top !
    *FLAMED / Figured Maple Back and Sides!
    *Suitable for Beginners as well as the Pro !!
    GREAT SOUND !!
    FEATURES:
    -Warm Amber Gloss Finish!
    -Double Kerfing!
    -Arched Back Construction !!
    -2 Machine Heads mounted on etched brass plate for Better precise and easy tuning !!
    -EBONY FINGERBOARD!!!
    -Aged Northern Maple Bridge!!
    -Padded Nylon Carrying Case
    -FREE Bow Included !!

Body is made of Fine Instrument-Grade Maple and Spruce built withstand the rigors of life on the Road!!
    With Free Bow - $80 Value !!
    PLUS FREE SHIPPING - $120-$150 Value !!
    WEB SITE SPECIAL
    Only $679.00

2. A lot has been written about those basses but don't search under the names. You would have better luck searching under the term "crap".

Try reading this for starters.
    Then read the newbie links in general.

If this sounds too harsh, it is not meant to-the purpose is to save you from wasting your money on something that will probably be difficult to play and will almost certainly begin to disintegrate within a few weeks or months.

3. Berklee School of Music Celebrates 60th Anniversary!
    See program featuring "big names" with special concerts and Bill Cosby as EmCee in Boston. Click here below: http://www.berklee.edu/events/2006/01/60th.html
    I thought I recognized a Prescott gamba accompanying pianist Herbie Hancock during a TV promo.
    Don Carrigan

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Donald- we all understand you are on a "tight budget", but the poor man pays twice. These instruments are not worth your money/time, save a few more $$ and put your budget around $1,000. Although the ad you posted mentions that they are setup, count on spending another $150-$500 in real setup work.

Can you fill out your profile? Where are you located? If you want to get a bass that is easy (fun) to play, find a bass luthier near you, or at least a music store that employs a string instrument technician. It's very important with upright basses that you purchase from someone that can service what they sell.

5. To: Nick Lloyd: You must have me confused with Steve Killington whose message is above mine. Since 1950 I've owned an 1820 Abraham Prescott Double Bass Viol which my father bought me for Christmas at $80 (all he could spare!) I hated it and wanted a pretty plywood Kay, but Dad said, "The old fiddle makes the best music". Last weekend it was played on by the Principal Bassist of the Boston Handel & Haydn Society in their 191st Season, about the same age as my bass. It has gone from being almost worthless ($80) to now when it "has no price" according to restorers.

6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    :eyebrow:

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm not sure what universe/thread you are in, but I was addressing the "Donald" at the top of the thread entitled "DeVilli Or Merano?"

8. Donald

Donald

Jan 29, 2006
    Bellingham Wa
    Thanks everyone for replying so quickly.
    I just recently bought an Epiphone 12 string guitar for 199.99 it’s the best playing instrument I own. The neck and action are both extremely easy to play and the instrument stays in tune for weeks.
    I have recently been recording with it and you just wouldn’t believe the sound. So maybe it’s just wishful thinking I was hoping the same for the cheap UB.

9. I can certainly understand wanting the best deal possible, and there are good deals in the world of basses. However, a decent entry-level bass will cost considerably more than a decent entry-level guitar.

Upton, Engelhardt, Christopher, Kohr, and Shen all make good basses and have models in the $1,000 range. This may be beyond your current price range but saving an extra year or so would definitely enable you to buy bass that is FAR superior to what you were originally looking at.

As far as the $80 Prescott goes, to compare someone buying an extremely valuable vintage bass for a fraction of its value to buying one of these "things" is not at all valid.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think we have to make allowances for advanced age - profile says 70....;)

11. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    When you see a description that looks like this "-Double Kerfing! ", go the other way. What is 'Double Kerfing' on a Bass?

Is he referring to Lining or Purfling?

"I have a Nice Bow for sale.. Arrows not included but has fresh strings on it. The Horse was not harmed to make this Ad..":D

12. Bruce Lindfield

This confused me - so I'm not questioning that you know what you're talking about - taken as read!!

But "Kerfing" is a wood-working term that was familiar to me and looking on Google, seems to be used in guitar-making a lot - is that why you're saying that ?

[​IMG]

13. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Yes, I know what Kerfing is but the guy that wrote the description for the Bass has no clue what he is selling or does not speak our language, Bass or English!

Kerfing is usually used inside acoustic and classical Guitars in place of Lining. Kerfing is pre-cut so it is easier to bend. The Violin makers do it the old fashioned way. I have seen Kerfing used in Bass repairs as well and my Batchelder has a few small strips of it inside in place of linings. But Double Kerfing? What are they talking about!

14. Bruce Lindfield

That must be because it's for a Double Bass!! ;)

Thanks for the explanation! :)

15. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I noticed you are near Seattle. Do yourself a favor, rather
    than hunting for deals on Ebay or worse, go visit a REAL
    bass shop, Hammond Ashley is nearby. I've never been
    there personally but it looks like they have a range of
    instruments, and you'd at least have something you know
    is reputable.

Good luck in your search,

16. I ordered a DeVilli a couple of monthes ago. It was not "Set Up" by any means. The ad should read "assembly required".
    After a good set up and new Helicores it is very playable and has good tone. I realize it is a cheap chinese made bass and I got what I paid for. It is certainly good enough for the occational bluegrass jam.
    I'll admit I don't know alot about double basses, i've played electric bass for 33 years, but as a starter instrument it seems to be working out fine. It seems to be made as well as the other ply wood basses that I checked out.
    Do any of you guys with negative reviews actually have experience with Deville basses? Not trying to be a smart ****, would just like to read another's experience with them.

Thanks, Barry

17. Bruce Lindfield

I don't think people are giving negative reviews, but rather are saying that as a "general rule", it is better to buy DBs from a place that actually knows about them; as a good setup can be worth more than what you actually pay for the bass!! ;)

18. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    There was a thread about these at the FDP a week or so ago. Barry contributed to that and there's a link to a page with info on set up

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=542659

I've never tried one of these and I've heard a lot of horror stories. But it also seems to me that plywood is a pretty consistent material--that's the point of it, after all--and that computer driven cutting machinery also makes for pretty remarkable consistency. A maple fingerboard isn't going to last very long, and who knows what kind of glue they use, so maybe you can never replace the fingerboard. It's possible that with a little additional setup work this could be a very serviceable bass. Not a great instrument by any means, but one to start on or a "beater."

Again, I've never tried one of these and so I might be wrong

19. Bruce Lindfield

I read all that and it was interesting and informative - but I still think I'd agree with the majority of what has been said here so far and I also think it goes to prove the old adage : you get what you pay for!! ;)

The trouble is that the original poster has asked a very vague and subjective question :

"Are they even worth my time?"

I think only you * can answer that!! :)

(*as in, only each person themself can answer this...)

20. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    If that is a Plywood Bass and has 'Double Kerfing' (whatever they meant by that) like they advertise, then why do the list "*Select Spruce Top ! , *Maple Back and Sides! , -EBONY Fingerboard, will not warp from climate changes !! .. AND.. SET UP BEFORE SHIPPING ! "??

Sounds to me like YOU are the one getting SET UP BEFORE SHIPPING !