1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DEVO: Don't Roof Rack Me, Bro

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CrewsControl, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Brilliant marketing by Devo! They have Gerald Casale on Ed's Angry Hour on MSNBC right now and they are playing the song. I bet it will get a lot of play and reaction on the Foxy Bimbo News Network as well. Overnight Devo is back in the public eye and all publicity is good publicity.

Way to go Spud boys! :bassist:

3. I'd guess that most viewers of Fox News couldn't care less about Devo.

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Well, actually, I do like their old stuff... Catch my drift?

5. Yeah, I get it... :)

I like their old stuff too. Too bad they haven't put out anything decent since "Oh No, It's Devo" 30 years ago. It's like the quality of material they put out was "devo," you know?

6. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY

The average Fox viewer was too old even 30 years ago to know who Devo is.

I agree the new song is no "Gut Feeling", my personal fave.

Check out this vid of them playing Gut Feeling live for the first time ever in 1977, 35 years ago.

Most of the world wasn't ready for them then and most now will never be ready for them. Spuds are a rare breed.

7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY

I think you are judging them with somewhat tainted vision, if you get my drift.

Please name one rock and roll band that ever put out anything 30 years into their career that is even remotely as good as their early work.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Umm, The Pretenders and Los Lobos. I agree that it is incredibly rare but those two bands continue to put out good stuff to ever shrinking audiences...

9. For me, the issue isn't Devo not putting anything good out after 30 years, rather, it's that Devo hasn't put out anything good *in* 30 years. I loved all their stuff through "Oh No, It's Devo," but everything from "Shout" (except for the Hendrix cover) on has been more or less crap, IMO.

Oh... and I agree with the poster who said that "Gut Feeling" is an awesome song. First song I ever learned on the guitar.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You can post material that may contain certain themes, etc. but the political parts of the discussion have to be left behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.