Devon Basses (any reviews?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Has anybody tried a Devon Bass? I'm particularly interested in the Diamond J. I've e-mailed them, and they have been nothing but extremely helpful and friendly. I would like to hear reviews, though, from anybody who has tried a Devon Bass (It doesn't have to be the Diamond J). Thanks so much.:D

If you haven't checked out their basses before, their website is
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Link doesn't work.
  3. Yeah, their site must be down right now. Try again later.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  5. Thanks, Bassmonkee, I'm the seller of the custom Devon jazz over at the DudePit (same id as here 'sellersm')...

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Devon's work, I've owned his custom Devon Jazz, Devon Dove 6 string (very rare only 3 made!), Devon Grace 6 fretless (the one on the home page on his website), Devon Lightwave 5 string and currently have his new top-secret Duet...

Devon's a one-man shop who's been building for about 10 years(?) or so, he's mainly built for bassists in the CCM arena, Aaron Sands (Jars of Clay), Steve Conrad (Rebecca St. James), Mark Harmon (77's), etc. He makes great stuff!

The Devon Jazz I've got is one of his earlier models (it's the one pictured on the website) which used custom Moses graphite necks. Has an ash body, koa top, Bart. J pups and 3-band pre. Absolutely killer tone, does the Marcus Miller thing superbly as well as the vintagey growly jazz tones! He's got quite a few happy buyers out here.

Devon's a very cool guy who's looking to the future to produce players basses which SOUND GREAT and play very well! No, he's not famous like Fodera or Lull or Lakland, but imnsho, he's far superior to most of them (Lull and Sadowsky)! Why should you pay multi-thousands for a one-piece neck? Ok, done now.

mark s.
  6. Nice bass sellersm, but, unfortunately, I don't have the money right now. I'm just doing my research early for my next bass. They look great, but it's hard to find any reviews. I take it you've tried his basses with the wood necks as well? I like all of his models, but I think the Diamond J would be my first choice. I also like the Diamond P (with a J pickup) or the Diamond D (I think that's what it's called, but it has the MM and J pickup configuration).
  7. Yes, I've tried his basses with wood necks, all but the custom jazz have wood necks! He makes multi-laminate necks (not just one-piece) and they all are great! If you're looking for a great deal, Brian Barrett at has a Diamond D (5 string) at a great price! That one's a killer with the shedua top!!

No, you won't find many reviews out there, but there are quite a few pro players using his basses and they don't get 'em free, I assure you of that!

It all depends on the style/sound you want: the J is a traditional-type jazz, the P is a pbass-type, the Diamond D is a Lakland-style. So far, I've heard no complaints from any Devon owners....
  8. I already know I want a 4-string first (I already own a Carvin LB70 and Carvin B5). Mr Barrett quoted me a price of $1900 for the Diamond J, and even Devon thought that was too much! Lately I've found out about Devon and Hanewinckel and am considering both. They both seem like great basses, and they're a little more affordable than most of the other custom basses I've seen.:)
  9. Yeah, that price is too high for a J 4 string!

Hanewinckel makes nice stuff too! You won't go wrong with either one. At this level, it's a matter of personal choice, who you're more comfortable with, who makes the ones which you really like, etc. etc. It's a win-win situation at this level!

Good luck! If you go with Devon, drop my name if you want.... (I have no commercial interest, he's just a friend and great builder!)
  10. So, do I just say sellersm referred me?;) He's been really great. He's been asking me questions about my band, etc., so he does more than just respond to your questions.:) Any idea what's up with his website today?
  11. Well, I figured you'd send me an email and ask me for my name! You can get in touch with me in various ways, look at my profile (I need to update it too I notice...).

Not sure what's up with his website, wonder if it got deleted from the master directory thing (dns or whatever it is called)? Maybe he's updating it, I know he's been meaning to....
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Might help if the period at the end wasn't part of the hyperlink, huh?;) Try this one:
  13. Actually, Devon said his website hosting service was switching servers earlier today and messed something up. It was down most of the day....
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That may be true, but the link in the first post will not work. It has a dot that shouldn't be there.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I particularly like the Diamond D model.
  16. I agree. I think that's what I'll be going with when I get the money. Here are the specs:

Swamp Ash with Mahogany top, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and, of course, with the MM/J pickup configuration. It will be a 4-string also.

If I get another 5-string (in addition to my Carvin B5) after I get the Devon 4, I will probably get the Diamond J or P (with a J in bridge position).:)