SOLD Devon J5 Dual MM

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by west*coast*bass, Dec 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is an amazing Devon 5 string. The fit and finish of this bass is on par with the finest builders currently creating for us low end dwellers. The tonal variations possible with the pickups/electronics setup is unlike any other bass I have ever played.

Specs:
    • Chambered Alder Body
    • Thuya Burl (extremely rare) Top
    • 3-piece Maple Neck
    • 24-fret Rosewood Fretboard
    • 34 inch Scale
    • Dual-slapped Nordstrand BigMan pickups, each with coil tap switches (neck-coil/series/bridge-coil)
    • Nordstrand Preamp; 18-volt, 3-band with master volume (with push/pull for active/passive), tone, blend, stacked treble/bass and mid (w/ mid-shift switch)
    • Hipshot A, 19mm Bridge
    • Hipshot Lollipop Tuners
    • Gloss Burnt Umber-to-transparent finish on body and head plate with satin on back of neck
    • Magnetically-fastened electronics cover

• Weight: 9lbs, 0oz
    This bass would cost $4359 from Devon with a case. Looking for $2700 shipped and insured - OBO. Comes in a Reunion Blues gig bag (which is built like a tank...a cushy tank)

A 4 string Devon is at the top of my trade list, but I may be interested in other 4 strings. I am not adding any cash to a trade, but if someone has a trade + cash to equal the value, I'd take a look at that. Please no cheap basses... Any trade must be 9 pounds or under and preferably a 1.5" nut.

Eye candy time...

IMG_6058.jpg IMG_6059.jpg IMG_6060.jpg IMG_6061.jpg IMG_6062.jpg IMG_6063.jpg IMG_6064.jpg IMG_6066.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    TolerancEJ, j.stemmler and smperry like this.
  2. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    No idea. I was looking at your bass and put my phone in my pocket and pocket posted my bass. Yours is prettier. GLWTS

phillipkregg likes this.
  3. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    lol!! That’s awesome. Thanks.

4. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Would you be able to post sound samples?

Matthardy likes this.
  5. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Let me see what I can do.

bbh likes this.
  6. Matthardy

Matthardy Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Second that request, a unique pickup combo. Would love to hear it during my deliberations...

bbh likes this.
  7. LowBSix

LowBSix

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    WOW! I thought you'd keep this one! Great guy to deal with!!!!

8. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    So I have no way to record onto my CPU, and when I tried to just shoot video on the iPhone, you can't really get a sense of the differences when the coils are switched. The phone just does't capture what the bass does. I can tell you this, being able to split each pickup from front coil, both coils and rear coil, in both active and passive modes offers up combinations to fit just about any genre of music.

9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    So I have no way to record onto my CPU, and when I tried to just shoot video on the iPhone, you can't really get a sense of the differences when the coils are switched. The phone just does't capture what the bass does. I can tell you this, being able to split each pickup from front coil, both coils and rear coil, in both active and passive modes offers up combinations to fit just about any genre of music.

Matthardy likes this.
  10. LowBSix

LowBSix

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Are there any links Friday m the Device n website?

Aside from that... I just bought an amazing 5 string bass with LAKLAND JO Jazz style pickups, which were “too polite” for my tonal tastes. There’s so many choices of pickups out there and decided on n ULYATE TICTAC noiseless and I’m loving them.

Moral of the story... You’re able to make any bass sound like you want with the right pickups. I did my footwork and I’m a happy camper.

I know the seller personally and every one be of his basses play and sound awesome!!!

11. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    No links...and thanks for the nice words, Rich!

LowBSix likes this.
  12. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Motivated for a pre NAMM sale...Devon has some 4 strings on the block and I want one of them! This is an AMAZING 5 string bass...someone needs to grab it!

LowBSix likes this.