No longer available Devon J5 Modern -

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by RussT, May 9, 2021.

1. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    Price:
    Strings:
    Canada
    Up for sale is my stunning Devon J5 Modern. Most Devon fans have seen this bass on his instagram and webpage and lusted over it. It is truly beautiful. I am the original owner although my friend had it for awhile until I took it back from him. (on trade not by force).
    It has perhaps the nicest quilted maple top I have ever seen.

The bass is in fantastic condition with only two imperfections of note. There is a small chip on the top of the headstock and a small indent above the pickups on the top. Both can be seen in the attached photos.

The original bridge is a 2tek. It currently has a hipshot kick ass that a luthier friend installed as a reversible mod. The 2tek is 17mm spacing and I wanted a bit more so it is now at 18.5mm with the Hipshot. The 2tek bridges require a route that goes completely through the body and then is attached with a brass plate on the back of the bass. My tech cut a piece of mahogany that fit the cavity perfectly. He then used the brass plate from the 2tek to secure the new piece of wood in place and attached the new kickass bridge to this piece of mahogany only. It is completely reversible with no screw holes anywhere in the body. Kind of ingenious actually. Both bridges will ship with the bass. It would take a matter of minutes to swap them back and forth.

PHOTOS that show how to swap the 2 bridges are added in a post below. It is VERY easy and takes literally 5 minutes to swap them.

I am selling only because I could use the cash so not looking for trades but you never know I suppose. I would consider a Warwick Streamer Stage ll or a Shawn May. I would also consider a yamaha bb2025x or a bb3000.

Specs
    Body - Mahogany
    Top - 5A quilted maple
    Neck - 3 Piece maple w/ vintage finish
    Fretboard - Maple
    Tuners - hipshot ultralight
    Pickups - Nordstrand Big Blades (my favourite pickups ever)
    Pre - Nordstrand 3b (2 mid frequencies, passive tone, push/pull active passive)
    Scale - 35"
    String - 18.5mm (adjustable)
    Weight - 9lbs 12oz's.

Pricing includes shipping in North America in a nice TKL gigbag.

IMG_2265.jpg

View attachment 4262981

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  2. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Gorgeous bass. Folks these will compete with any brand out there in quality and tone.

bassguyky48 and RussT like this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    As an owner of a Devon J5 bass I would submit it will surpass most brands out there.

RussT and Bassworship1 like this.
  4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The other thing you all might have seen on Instagram is that Devon has frozen new orders for the time being. He's got as much work as he can fulfill. So this could be your best way to get your hands on a Devon in the near or mid term. Price is totally on point.

5. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    What altitude said. Thanks for mentioning that. No new Devon’s for awhile. Also Sharon Cline who does his finishes is leaving the house industry and she is perhaps the best in the business. This bass is a fantastic example of Sharon Clines and Devon’s mastery.

daveonbass and Bassworship1 like this.
  6. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    Back up. Need the cash.

7. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    Here is a look at how easy it is to swap the bridges. As mentioned in the original post no holes were drilled to put the Hipshot Kickass in. It is secured to a mahogany block that is then screwed to the metal plate on the back that secures the 2tek in place. Very quick and easy to change and zero holes.

Attached Files:

8. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    I may consider trades that net me at least $1000. Preferably more.

9. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    I will also consider a trade for a decent 4 string Pbass plus cash. I would love a tele style pbass but with regular split pickups. Warmoth, fender whatever.

10. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    Buy with confidence folks, RussT is a class act. That blue quilted top! :drool:
    GLWTS

RussT likes this.
  11. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    I have updated trade options to include a Shawn May, a yamaha bb2025x and possibly a yamaha bb3000 or a Alien Audio. (all plus cash except the Shawn may depending on the instrument)

12. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    Price dropped from $2750 to $2650

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021