Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DFW area Musicians

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan_G, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I just moved to Richardson from Oklahoma. I know there are a lot of people from the DFW area on these boards. I am not completely new to the area. I know some of the more popular places around for music, but I am looking to join a band and don't really know where to start. I have looked at http://www.dallasmusician.com and http://www.musicians.net/ but there really isn't all that much going on there. I might post an add, but I haven't had a lot of luck with that in the past.

I guess part of my problem is I am pretty much done with the "Original rock band with major label interest seeking serious musician ready to be a rockstar" bands. I'm looking for a band that plays locally(maybe regionally), thats not too good to play covers, and actually plays music people want to listen and dance to.

I have played all sorts of music from country to rock to reggae. Right now I prefer playing reggae and similar music... really anything with a nice beat and some awesome percussion going on. These bands seem particularly hard to locate in TX/OK.

Also I am not where I feel I need to be musically. I have considered taking the next few months off from the gigging scene to take some lessons, really buckle down, and get some world/latin/R&B chops down. But I have no clue where to look for a good teacher. I'm probably a teachers worst nightmare. I have been playing long enough to know how to get by, but I'm sure I have some serious problems that I have incorporated into my playing. Its like I'm going to have to start from the beginning even though I have been playing for a while now.

I would also like to know some of the less popular places that feature some great bands. I really liked this place in Norman called The Deli(not a sandwich place :D ). They had a lot of local bands playing rock, blues, jam type stuff. I don't really know how to classify it, it seems like finding a genre to put a band in requires a masters degree now days. I'm sure some of the bands have made it down this way. http://www.thedeli.us/ stuff like Mike Hosty, Travis Linville, Widemouth, basically just really good musicians playing with all sorts of different people and having a good time.

If you guys could point me in the right direction on this stuff, it would be great. Even if it doesn't fit my description exactly let me know what you are thinking.

Bryan

2. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Not too friendly to the Okie eh? ;)

I know there has to be a lot of Texans out there.
    :D

Bryan

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the metroplex!

Look for open mic and jam nights. That is a good place to network, and get your name out there.

There are a couple of open mics that I have been to a few times.

One is at Texas Bar & Grill in Irving.

220 E. Las Colinas Blvd. - No. 260 - Irving, Texas 972-869-2007

I haven't been in a while, so you might want to call them and see what weekends they have them.

The other is at Hole in the Wall on Harry Hines in northwest Dallas. It is on Monday nights.

11654 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75229

From searching on the web, it appears that Hole in the Wall has blues jams almost every night of the week.

Even if blues is not your thing(it is not mine!) it is pretty easy to play, and lots of musicians turn out for these jams. Make a few friends, and next thing you know, you have a guitarist and a drummer lined up who also play your kind of music.

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I heard that the Hole in the Wall jam has changed from Monday to 2 or 3 other weeknights. Sorry I don't remember which ones, just be sure to check it out before you drive across town to drop in on a Monday. There's also one that I haven't been to but my drummer has. It's the pidgeon Hole in Arlington. Both of the 'holes' are pretty much straight blues rock jams.

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Oriley's on forest and greenville have open mic nights two or three nights a week... also theres a place called tomcats that has a couple of stages and do open mic nights as well. I'm fairly new to the area as well but there's always a ton of stuff goin on. I've caught a few really interesting bands at a place called Poor David's pub. Good luck in the Metro... Peace

6. rogerjeep

rogerjeep

Aug 10, 2005
    Contact the Musicians union. Mike Kennedy is the guy you need to talk with.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yeah, he's really nice too.

:)