DFW area Need to try some fretlesses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badgrandad, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Well, I want to buy a fretless, and I've just GOT to play before I buy. (I don't want to play the trading game again).

Any recomendations of places that carry fretless basses, new and used (preferably used, in the Dallas/Fort Worth area). I may have to make the trip to Austin to go again to the Bass Emporium.

Right now I'm open as to 4, 5 or 6. I want used preferably so I won't lose too much $$ if I don't incorporate fretless as I hope to my musical palette.

I can go up to $1000 (maybe more) and play lots of different styles of music. Thanks for any input.
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well if your budget was bigger, Id suggest you go talk to Pete Skjold. He actually has a 6-string fretless in his shop right now thats used. I have no idea what he needs to get for it though. He is in Lewisville and you can contact him from his website at www.skjolddesign.com. These are the most versatile instruments Ive ever played, and the used one is awesome.

I believe this is it:

Im sure he'd cut you a great deal, and its likely the last fretless you'll ever need, but Im sure its a lot more than 1k. Still might be worth asking about though :)
  3. You know, Ive not mentioned it too loudly at my home but I've always wanted to have Pete build my next bass. Playing is mostly a hobby for me (but a serious one and one of my only entertainments), and money has always been an issue, but a good used Skjold would be really great. I may have to go see it.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Friday's are good days if your available. Im always lounging around the shop on Friday's myself, taking progress pics for all my many brothers playing the waiting game hehe. If you like, PM me, and we'll see if maybe you might can come out. I can let Pete know if you want as well.
  5. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    You might try Larry Morgan Music in Garland. They are a great bunch of guys, and have some really cool stuff there...
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 to that, allthough his prices seem a bit high to me in general. Anderson Guitar Gallery is another place you might check out.
  7. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Well... i usually don't suggest GC but, the one on caruth haven and 75 has some nice warwick fretlesses in stock, a few fenders and some surprizingly nice cort's.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The one on 635 near Midway also has a nice stock of new/used customs in their special room. You might check it out, but dont expect any of them to be in playable condition setup-wise hehe. Pete went in there himself and setup the used Skjold they had in stock after someone posted about it having insanely high action and needing a trussrod adjustment. Needless to say the GC employee's were a little taken aback :)
  9. anderbird 13

anderbird 13

Feb 19, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    Thanks for the referral, I do have a couple of Skjold fretless basses in stock, and would welcome a visit.
  10. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Check out this Skjold fretless on ebay. It is higher than your budget, but you can't beat the price. It's at Steve's place in Frisco if you want to play it.
  11. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i live in keller and own a skjold custom 5 fretless.you are more than welcome to check mine out.i love it.
  12. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I work right around the corner from this one and go there several times a week (out of boredom on my lunch hour). for the most part, the ones in the "special rooms" are not all that bad setup wise, but the rest uuuggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

If i remember correctly, the only fretless i saw was a warwick 4 stringer in there but i think that was all....
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats good to hear they are taking care of them :)
  14. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    There is also a lined Warrior fretless.
  15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, geeze, here I was going to jump in and suggest that you simply must go see Pete Skjold, and it looks like I am a bit late to the party. ;)
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know what part of Fort Worth you are in, but the Zoo music off of Camp Bowie has a lovely Peavey Cirrus fretless. I almost bought it when I was in the market a couple of years back.

If you want, we could get together some time and you could check out my Zon fretless. Zons are the best fretless I have ever played, but new they are pretty pricey. You can sometimes find a used one for around $1200 - $1500, depending on the woods, condition, etc.
  17. steve21

steve21 Banned

If you've got any GC's close by, be sure to check out the Warwick Corvette Standard Fretless. They're my favorite warwicks, fun as hell.

And about 800 bucks, you'd probably be able to get it down with 700/750 cash.
  18. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    didn't know there were so many of here in big D and cowtown too.

we should all get together sometime! or at least see each others at a gig.

although the body style is not my cut of tea (i'm more of a vintage guy). go see pete skjold, his basses sound great. i'm sure he'd make you a nice fretless.

decide if you want to spend the bucks depending on if you are looking to play it for fun or if it's going to be your main bass or not.

19. I had to go "off-line" yesterday and missed many of the posts, but this a.m. it is great to see your suggestions!

If I could play fretless good enough to make it my main instrument, I could "cut to the chase" solve all my (current!)gear desires and just go get a Skjold fretless.

I most appreciate the offers to come try your personal gear (Bassjam - Embellisher) and if I can find the time I will!!!!

Embellisher - do you recall what they were asking for the Cirrus? (I'll make the trip to Zoo Music to try it out for sure).

Oh by the way, if any of you are in the "neighborhood" my band will be playing at the Central Market off I-30 and Hulen St in Fort Worth, Saturday 3/18 from 6:30 - 9:00pm its outdoors and its free so if you've always wondered what Celtic fusion/Worldbeat sounds like come hear! (Were called Brothers3)
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They were asking $1250 for it, IIRC, but it has been there for 3 or 4 years. If you had cash, I'll bet that they would give you a deal. Make sure that they know that you know that the bass has been on the wall forever, and be prepared to walk if they don't take your offer. I think that if you show them cash, and head for the door if they won't deal, that you could get it for $1000 - $1100.