1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DHA VT1-EQ or VT Bass with DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by loopee, Apr 22, 2010.

1. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I'm getting rid of my BDDI. I want to add tube warmth to my LMII. I bought the Xotic BB Bass Preamp to replace the BDDI but want a DI also. I've debated on the other preamps around such as Tonebone, Tone Hammer, Tri Logic, VT Bass and DHA. I think I've finally come down to 2 of them. VT Bass with DI by D Putnam or VT Deluxe or go with the DHA VT1-EQ which has a tube in it. Now I do know that tubes break down but will the VT give me the tube warmth that I want?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    tubes don't break down nearly as much as people who know nothing about tubes tell you they will. it's not at all unusual to get over 10 years out of a tube. i've got some tubes that have lasted 40 years of semi-regular usage.

anyway, i know nothing about the dave hall pedal but the vt does, indeed, have tubey sound. however, liking ampeg amps is a prerequisite.

3. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    IMO, a DHA-VT1-EQ-Bass puts out some very preamp tube fat; be it clean, or w/a bit of dirt. Never tried a VT Bass myself.

4. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    That DHA is really calling my name but the size and the 12v wallwart bums me out. I'd drather use a pedal that can take my 1Spot. The VT is nice but I'd rather get "my" tone instead of the one everyone else is getting.....But since I already have the Xotic BB Bass preamp, do I really need another that'll do pretty much the same thing? Though the sound would be warmer with the tube and I get a DI which I need since the BDDI is off my board......

5. I have tried - and I currently use - both the VT1-EQ-Bassdrive, and the VT on my pedalboard.
    And I gig fairly regularly, so don't fret about tube reliability, the DHA isn't gonna be a worry.

Gotta say - Dave is an aweome guy to deal with at DHA.
    Just sayin. :cool:

Both of these things can do clean tubey sounds really well.
    But first things first - the character of the OD is different.

The VT sounds like Ampeg. And the thing I like is how the VT doesn't lose low end "tightness" when you boost the lows IMHO.
    Most OD's lose definition in the lows when you turn up the gain, and the VT is no different, but being able to keep the lows relatively tight, without turning to mush is nice.

The DHA is an awesome preamp, altho at extreme gain settings it can get a little noisy - but then the VT isn't 100% quiet at full gain either.
    The main difference between the DHA and the VT, other than the character of the OD, is where the EQ is centered.
    Dave explained this to me, and being a stoner rock, detuning sort of player myself, this preamp is centered EXACTLY how I like it.
    The bass EQ knob is set low down, in pants flapping territory, very useful if you use 15's, so you can boom the room, or cut back the boom and make it sit well in the mix.
    The VTs' bass knob is set a bit higher up.
    However, the DHA does have a Q knob to change the center for your mids.
    I really like the mids of the DHA with a P-bass. Just sounds right.

One peculiar thing to note about the DHA.
    At a gig, set it up with power first. Really.
    I have found mine will be just slightly cleaner than my settings until it gets to operating temp, meaning the first song is a bit cleaner than normal if I power it up seconds before the first song.

Volume knob.
    And this happens with both pedals.
    As both pedals are designed to be used as a preamp or O.D.; at extreme OD settings, the volume knob is extremely touchy, making changing volume settings with your foot in a live gig scenario impossible. You'll need to be careful with your settings.......

Seriously - both pedals are awesome for either a preamp OR an OD pedal IMO. You'll be sweet either way, but if you need convincing that the DHA is a good bet, email Dave at DHA.
    He convinced me and I'm glad he did.

6. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Hi, thanks for the info.....Firstly I would never turn up the gain anywhere near 100% so I'm not preoccupied with hissing sounds but I don't want any noise when it's clean or just slight grind.....You mention pant flapping territory (I must say it's only happened to me once which an amp I was trying out in a store - that was just wonderful (sighing and drooling) -) but I'm only using 12's and most of the time a Markbass CMD121P combo or my LMII with a 12" Schroedder cab so should I be worried of hurting the smaller speakers with the lows?

I play mostly Blues and Rock so I figure either one would work for me but would prefer my own sound. (I 've been playing my passive shortscale with flats mostly for this band so) Not that I don't like Ampeg, I do, but I'd rather try to get my own sound so I lean towards the DHA. How big is that box exactly and how big is that power supply? I can't really find that answer on the website. Is there a US/Can website? Cause I'd like to check that website out and see what the prices are, etc....

Yeah, thanks for the heads up about warming the tube before playing....makes sense....that really helped all my old tube amps (guitar) when I played many years ago....

So then if I were to get the DHA, I could still keep the BB on my board? It wouldn't be overkill? I could probably take my Aphex Bass Exciter off the board too and I probably won't need a compressor, so I can save some money there.....So, let's say:
    Boss Tuner
    BB
    DHA

That should probably be pretty good for Blues and Rock. What do you think?

7. my drummer's basement destroyed my valveking TWICE. sold it for a modeling amp. in good conditions, tubes can thrive. with no money and a bad environment, the amp will go down every 6 months.

8. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Overkill?? I don't think so, but really, that's way too subjective for me to say. Using a compressor or not, is also too individual a choice for me to tell you. However, for my taste in blues, the VT1-EQ-Bass blows the Aphex Bass Exciter off like dust.

9. Don't be worried about hurting speakers - you'll be able to tell that with your (speaker) *farts* of you listen carefully.

There's never any overkill with pedals - whatever works.

The power I have is a switchmode supply - very small and light.

10. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    So what would you consider "good conditions"?
    I always put my pedalboard in it's bag when I'm done, what worries me more would be dropping the bag and breaking the tube. Also, the upkeep. Which is why I like SS. So I'll probably just go with the VT and be done with it. Thanks guys for your advice....if you have more of it I can take it....lol.....

11. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Hmmmm, I've been rereading the thread and just thought of something.....tubes....coming out of the cold northwest onto a gig, must wait till the tube is at room temperature before turning one and must wait till tube cools down before putting in a cold car........

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    all of the issues addressed about care of tube amps (waiting for room temp to turn on if it's been in freezing temps, not storing in a wet basement) apply to solid state as well.

13. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    pre-amp tubes such as 12ax7 which I use in my pedals last years and are much more robust then people think.

14. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    John at dha-usa will help you with the size and usa prices. www.davehallampsusa.com

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    right on, dave. people have been brainwashed by aspen pittman and the manufacturers who are more than happy to play into his crap. did someone say "kickbacks?" ;)

16. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Well, I got fed up with this back and forth thing going on.......so I pulled the trigger on the DHA VT1-EQ.....I'll keep the BB for back up if the tube goes (besides I really like that BB so I might as well keep it). If the DHA works out the BDDI will be for sale and possibly the Aphex Bass Exciter..................I just had to try that DHA out...........

17. Good Luck with it mate.

An EHX 12AX7 is in mine as per standard, but if you find you want to change the sound a bit, you can swap the tube out for other 12A_7 style tubes.
    Can't do that with a VT bass........

Andysoundbass likes this.
  18. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    True

19. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Just received my DHA VT1-EQ Bass Drive pedal today. Wow, that thing is bigger than I thought, hope it fits on my pedal board and that I can shut the bag over it. Don't want to break the toggle switches. Black flecked paint finish looks great under lights. The knobs are very firm (good), very good craftmanship. It comes with a power supply AND a power cable. That's a lot of cable to put on the board and I have a small homemade board.

So, since I have neighbours downstairs, I decided to try it out with the headphone line. It didn't work, just hiss...I turned the Heaphone knob but nothing.....so I figured I better plug it into an amp to see if it works altogether.....YES.....of course, using bedroom level didn't really give me a good idea of what this pedal is about. But the sound did seem warmer and fatter......great......The Q knob really didn't do anything but maybe it needs to be used with another knob to make it work.....lots of knobs on this pedal.....it might take a while before I figure it all out.....I prefer "plug and play" but this is a bit more involved but I'm sure I'll find the sound and tone I'm looking for, it will just take a while.
    So I really can't say to much about it yet but I really wish the headphone out would have worked since it would really come in handy for me and would help with the resale value......

I won't be able to really try it out until Thursday's band rehearsal. And I have a gig on the 11th. I wonder if they have a manual for this pedal, it is quite involved and it would help. I'll have a look on the website.....

20. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Q sets the center frequency of the Mid tone control, so if Mid is set to zero (12 o'clock) Q will have no affect. I will mail a manual if you pm your email address.

If this is a new pedal then DHA-USA will fix the headphones for you. Level, i/p pad and gain need to be set as well as h/p level for the h/ps to work. If there is hiss then the h/p amp is working.