1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DHA VT2 Standard Dual Bass Tube Overdrive/Distortion SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Okay I've had this pedal for awhile now and I think it's really great, I'm not impressed with the way the soundclips turned out compared to the way this thing actually sounds through my rig, and they're just quick and sloppy clips, but I figure maybe someone out there would appreciate them anyways. So here we go, first clip is with a Gibson SG Bass on Channel 1+2, which is perfect for a ratty Neil Young-ish sound which I think is really cool:

http://media.putfile.com/SGCh2

That's a little Hey Hey, My My for those who know what I'm talking about. The next clip is with a Fender Jazz Bass on Channel 1+2:

http://media.putfile.com/JazzCh2

Retains a good amount of bite even on those low, muddy notes. The strings on that bass were dead too, so that's pretty cool. The next clip is the SG Bass just through Channel1:

http://media.putfile.com/SGCh1

And then the Jazz Bass through just Channel 1:

http://media.putfile.com/JazzCh1

Ok so that does it. Oh, right. Channel 1 is cranked for these clips, but if you're looking for just a little hair and some tube fatness this pedal really excels at it in the first channel... why didn't I do any clips of that? Oh well. And Channel 2's gain control is up a little past 9 o'clock so there's a lot more mayhem available on that channel. The input pad and channel 1 > 2 volumes were cranked.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

2. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    pity, I cant seem get the clips playing.....

3. babaseen

babaseen The BJFE Blueberry for sale Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    So you think this pedal nails the Jack Bruce tone:confused:

4. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Mixed reviews from what I heard.

5. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Oh, I get it now. You're an "unsupporting member" trying to get support. Gotcha!
    BTW: Those clips still don't do anything for me.

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Trying to get support? What is that even supposed to mean? First, this is a zombie thread. Second, I've done probably hundreds of soundclips on this forum, if you're not familiar with them... I do them so I can judge the tones I get with various pedals, see whether I like them or not, and I figure while I'm doing them I may as well share them with other people too. All of this has absolutely nothing to do with garnering "support" of any kind, I think you're pretty far off base there.

I don't know, I like the second channel on this thing for that crazy raw and fuzzed out Neil Young style tone. That it does nail. Jack Bruce on the other hand, I don't know. Judging by the clips, might be a little buzzy for that.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Yeah, Mark has offered plenty of GAS fuel for us all by recording truckloads of clips of various pedals. No supporting member elitism please!

This pedal has 2 sides to it, and it doesn't look like the low gain tube fatness side was fairly represented here. I did some clips of it way back, but mp3space.com has since disappeared, so I'll re-upload them to box.net (my new fave, I recommend to everyone for clips!) and change my links in the wiki when I can.

8. I'd like to listen but won't install the required plugin to do it. Isn't there just a link to an mp3?

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. If you could repost on soundclick or something?

I can't even get them to work, with all my crazy interweb knowhow :eek:

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Unfortunately these clips are old, and I no longer have them on a computer anywhere. What I can do is record new clips and throw those up on soundclick, but I don't foresee them turning out better than these did. Danny is right, the first channel doesn't have much of a chance of being displayed properly with my gear, and I've heard his clips and I'd check his out when he gets them re-uploaded. If I get a chance I'll record some new ones and upload those too though.

11. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Nice clips - as usually ;)

Your SG with second channel really sounds as Neil Young. Those two channels are really great thing as you can get both: metalic overdrive and nice fuzz. What I like best is that fuzz is not muddy, is bright and it sounds very natural. But you must admit that DHA pedals are ugly ;)

12. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks! That's why I keep my DHA pedal around, it's perfect for that gnarly Neil Young sound, which I just love and I'm sure many more hate. For those of you not familiar with it click on this to see the man in action:

a little slower than he usually does it, but boy is he angry! That's the kind of crashing tubey fuzzed out noises that the first clip is emulating. A little bit of sloppy playing plus some raging tube fuzz is tonal nirvana for me. How I wish they'd make a bass Bigsby bridge!

Yeah, and the pedal was pretty ugly, my fiance painted mine for me, now it's all purple with a bunch of sparkly stars on it and it has gold lettering proclaiming it the "Magical Mystery Tube". Definitely one of my most badass pieces of equipment.

13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, new clips of the DHA on soundclick, here's Ch. 1 with the SG Bass for a clean-ish yet grunty tone:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7316585

And here's the SG Bass with Ch. 2 of the DHA for that Neil Young style tube fuzz:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7316591

And for fun I ran the Classic 108 Fuzz into the DHA's Ch. 1. The overdrive is coming from the 108 Fuzz, with my guitar's volume rolled back, and the DHA adds some tube fatness:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=7316576

As you can probably tell my strings are quite dead, so if the sound is muddy, that's why.

14. jasperok

jasperok

Mar 11, 2008
    nice clips

tell me - CAN the VHA do a good clean
    i mean squeaky clean tone?

or is there always grit?

15. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    It can get very clean, yes. Much of the range of the gain knob or whatever it is will have some dirt though, even if just a tiny bit (at least with my relatively high output basses) but I think the VT1 has a boost switch to boost the output when very clean tones are desired, so for your application I'd look into that model specifically.

As you can tell I'm kind of a dirty tone guy, but I am tempted to pick up a VT1 just for the nice fat tubey clean tones... and some more of that nice dirt it does! Anyways, good luck!