1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DHGate Experience Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PortlandBass77, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. but GAS

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I would only buy carrots

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. So I finally caved and ordered one of these double neck basses from DHGate while it was on sale today (4/28/2015). I've been curious about the quality of these basses, and the reliability of the sellers for some time now, so I will post updates and an unboxing/review video to youtube so that everyone else can see first hand the honesty of the sellers and the quality of the products. Here are the reported specs:

Configuration: 4 string and 6 string headless double neck
    Body: Mahogany
    Necks: Maple
    Fretboards: Maple
    Color: Blue
    Pickups: Passive closed type

It's supposed to be shipped within 30 days (by May 28th) and delivered between June 2nd and 11th. Price is $275.03 with free shipping via EMS.

Now I know quality is inconsistent with Chinese guitars as I have played a couple of amazing ones and a lot of $$$$$ ones, so I don't expect much:

1. That it is actually delivered
    2. That is playable AFTER I set it up
    3. That it is actually in the same ballpark as the description (double neck 4 and 6 and headless)

If these conditions along are met the seller will get a positive review.

Here some things that would be awesome:

1. If they get the specs the way I requested and that they confirmed they will do
    2. The body is indeed mahogany and not plywood
    3. It doesn't feel cheap
    4. It sounds at least decent
    5. It is light weight (no more than 12 lbs)
    6. Ready to play out of the box (this one ain't going to happen)
    7. They include a gig bag as a bonus

Here are the stock photos for comparison purposes to the final product (notice that I ordered some different options than shown that the seller told me via chat that they will gladly do, and I would like to add I was pleasantly surprised on how quick and easy the communication with the seller was so far).

double1. double2. double3.

Anyone else use DHGate, AliExpress, or any other global market wholesale Chinese Ebay? Share experience here.

2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I voted no because I do not have $275 to burn. Sounds like you do, so why not, it's your money :hyper:. I have actually ordered from Chinese sellers on eBay, and delivery times do drag on, hopefully you will get your item as promised.

You are indeed rolling the dice on quality.

I once bought a package deal on evil bay consisting of a violin,viola, and cello for $125, including shipping. Of course, everything about the instruments was super cheap, but I got them all playable, gave the fiddle and viola away, and sold the cello for $200. :cool:

dslapster64 likes this.
  3. I order from Chinese sellers all the time on ebay, mostly for small parts like, and I have never had a problem with them and the quality is always higher than I expect. But for all I know Ebay could have much higher quality standards than DHGate.....

4. So I just received a message that the double neck is "finished" but they used rosewood instead of maple for some reason. They sent photos and everything else, including the color, is dead on what I requested. They are willing to build necks with maple fretboards, but it would likely take a lot longer and rosewood is not a deal breaker, I just prefer maple, so do you think I should tell them to ship it as is, or wait for them to get the maple?

other_1031534087_00. other_1031534217_00. other_1031534340_00. other_1031534543_00. other_1031534664_00.

rtav, blindrabbit and bholder like this.
  5. I told them to redo it with maple and they said it will be ready to ship in 5-7 days. No complaints by me if it actually arrives.....

kodiakblair likes this.
  6. You asked for maple so should get maple.

Trading with the West is still quite new to most Chinese so these mix ups can be expected.With a lot of Chinese probably never having even
    saw a guitar before chances are they assume a neck is just a neck regardless of materials. A friend designed basses then contracted the build to China,
    I'm sure there were some teething problems to start.It helped that he ordered limited runs of each design and does most
    of the set ups himself.All worked out in the end though and his business does well,he just needs a US dealer:).

I'll be watching your thread to see the end product,should be good:thumbsup:

blindrabbit and PortlandBass77 like this.
  7. I would ask if I could buy the rosewood necks as well, so you could swap them out, who knows maybe less then $100 for the extra necks and maybe one set has better fretwork and feel then the other, just a thought. Looks good for the money, I would buy from them but I would not by basses that infringe on copy rights, no rickenbacker copies, no stingray rip offs and no Fenders with Fender logos, a generic Fender style sure.

blindrabbit and bholder like this.
  8. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Ok, I've heard many dodgy experiences with DHgate but I think AliExpress seems to be fairly healthy, experience-wise. And as Kodiakblair state, I think the Chinese are learning as they go on guitar dimensions, etc and also that the language difference/interpretation is a bit of a quagmire. In my experience, I asked one seller on AliExpress with good feedback to make me a '51 P-bass neck. They were pretty good with the comms, asking questions about dimensions, etc and I was happy with the neck when it arrived.....until I went to put the vintage tuners on and noticed that the headstock was about 15mm shorter than it should have been. Why this happened when I thought I had cleared all the measurements with them is beyond me. That said, It's a good neck and I'd have no qualms ordering from them again in the future.

9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Ooh, I like that. At least, it looks nice...

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've never heard of DHGate before, but on such sites, who the seller is is usually more important than what site it's on. If these folks prove reliable, I might be tempted to order a fretless/fretted 5 double in that style.

11. other_1037342526_00.

rtav, kkaarrll, darthplagis and 4 others like this.
  12. Forgot to update:

The bass was shipped on May 23rd 2015, and tracking info was available May 24th. The estimated deliver date is June 4th - 13th.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Looks better with maple...and anything that says "Overlord of Music" has to be good!

14. I know someone that could use one of these because he can't seem to keep a bass player!

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Looks great, sub'ed.

FWIW at the recent Nightwish concert in Houston, Marco Hietala(bassist) had a double neck with a strap that allowed him to lift the instrument and it would lock in place at the higher setting which put the lower instrument at the correct height. When he changed back to the upper neck, he simply pushed down and it went(and stayed) in the lower position.
    http://voxmc.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7041&d=1429930236

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  16. woah! that's pretty awesome.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    It was "impressive, most impressive" and at first I thought it was trickery but I watched closely when he shifted back to bass and it was the strap. The bass is a Warwick + Framus(?) guitar that I doubt had a mechanical device on the back to allow this. I'll see what I can do about finding the source for that strap via Nightwish, Delain, and Sabaton friends and contacts.

I'm sure Geddy would have appreciated one on this tour.

18. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    other_1031534340_00.
    No breakangle at all, the open strings may buzz.

19. Just in, the package entered, and was released from customs in San Fransisco earlier today 5/26. Is this normal? I thought stuff usually gets stuck in customs for around a week.... maybe a slow day? Anyways woho!

20. IT'S HERE! IDK HOW IT CLEARED CUSTOMS AND GOT FROM SAN FRAN TO PDX IN JUST OVER A DAY BUT WOW!

20150527_130806_zpsbufu2v0x.
    20150527_130824_zpsbrpdhct7.
    20150527_130835_zpsqgsfj3gn.
    20150527_130843_zpssojqsdfx.
    20150527_130847_zpskikzgjdz.
    20150527_130853_zpshhcgufd5.
    20150527_130904_zpsk9pn62dq.
    20150527_130921_zpsopo5nfzo. 20150527_130932_zpsiirkjwu1.
    20150527_130944_zpstpshb92l. 20150527_131524_zps24ervufr.
    20150527_123931_zpsjkegekql.

rtav, Splods and Dark Horse like this.