Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI box:::: bass pod, tech21, or raven labs????

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by arther daily, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Right then: I want a decent DI box for home recording.

Ideally I want as much flexability with sound as possible.

I want more than one output so I can run DI to the PC soundcard and a line into my bass amp.

I've been checking out Raven Labs MDB1, Tech-21 Bass Driver and Bass Pod.

Recommendations, suggestions, loves, hates etc... wanted!

Also, Bass Pod - correct me if I'm wrong, but does this have a MIDI output - so you can trigger MIDI with your bass? Sounds cool! Has anyone used this? Is it any good?

cheers

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I believe if you could do a hands-on comparison, you'd find the Tech 21 and Pod are toys in relation to the Raven Labs unit. Raven Labs stuff is 100% fully professional stuff.

I own an MDB-1 and can tell you however, that although it's an outstanding piece of versatile hardware, it may be a bit of overkill if all you need is a DI box for home recording. It's pretty much a mixer/DI front-end and doesn't contain any eq, midi, etc.

3. Thanks.
    I gathered from the the specs on the web site that Raven Labs is designed and built for professional use.

When I say purely for home recording, it may well get used as a preamp for gigs etc too.

The Raven Labs was top of my list until I heard the POD could be used to trigger MIDI - I've nothing particular in mind for this function but it sounds like it could be interesting and fun.

More feedback people pleeeese!

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Howdy;
    I'm pretty sure that you can only send MIDI messages with the POD, like for dumping data.
    You'd need some sort of converter to get actual note information, like a midi pickup. I don't think the POD can do that at all. I'm heading to the studio shortly, I'll check the manuals & such, but I'm afraid that will only confirm that the POD can't do what you have in mind...
    I'll get back to you shortly, but I'm sure by then someone else will have confirmed this anyway.

Say, what's happening with your album?

5. Blimey! Hello Mark, long time no speak!

I've lost your postal address (sorry) - email it to me and I'll post you a CD - still only a demo I'm afraid, fallen foul of band-wide finance problems - but it's a better recorded, more developed demo at least.

Re: the POD - I just checked out the web site - should have done that 1st really - you're right the midi connector is purely for swapping & uploading settings.

...the Raven Labs is looking nmore & more attractive by the minute.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I use my Aguilar DB 924 pre-amp as a recording DI. It works fabulously.It sounds even better than the DI on my Eden amp.

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    sent you some mail there, thanks! Sorry to hear of your setback.

We'll try just about anything once in the studio. You never know what might work.
    I started out a long time ago multitracking w/ various processors as DI's- Digitech, ART, etc. So I've got lots of older archived tracks with low quality DI'd instruments. That's where the PODs come in.
    They're quite good at re-amping tracks , and not just bass. I've re-amped guitars too, works very well.
    These days, I'll usually mike cabs + take a line out from my Carvin RL1000 head. It hits tape really well. Occasionally I'll use the original Sansamp (the one w/ all the DIP switches). It also does a respectable job on various instruments.
    We recently got the Aguilar db924 also. I haven't had the opportunity to use it much yet, but it sounds really good so far. I think a DB750 is in my future too.
    The Raven Labs unit would be a great, high-end, one purpose pre. The Avalon units are very good as well. I've got friends that use Demeter, Kern, and Alembic pre's, and they can all be used as Di's also. There's just too many choices! I say find a deal on one & go for it, but then I'm not averse to collecting equipment...
    I better stop for a while now.

8. Me neither... causes me much pain in the wallet!

Got the email - CD will be posted via snail mail on Wednesday.

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Home recording? I think I know just the place for this...

10. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I used to have a rackmount bass POD. I thought it was cool at first, but then got tired of the sounds real fast. All the modles sound squashed and lifeless to me (and no I didn't have the compressor cranked :) ).

I sold it and bought and Avalon U5 DI. The best and last piece of bass recording gear you'll ever buy. It even has a power soak 400W speaker input and 6 selecatalbe tones. If you got the cash that's the way to go.

Scott.

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love the Bass Pod. I've been using it for about 1 1/2 years now, and have never been happier with my sound. I can get any sound I want, from my standard sound using the Gallien-Krueger model to the Ampeg SVT model I use with my Epiphone EB-3 to get that Jack Bruce Cream overdriven sound. On most small gigs I go into a power amp, then into a Carvin 210 speaker. On bigger gigs I can go direct. And it sounds great for recording too.

12. I might use it for gigs too... sorry for polluting your forum!