DI Box help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Si-bob, Feb 9, 2003.

1. hey all
    i'm currently looking for a DI box, and i was almost sold on the new aphex bass x-citer, till i started reading about the Countryman DI, the other option i think is a sansamp, but i'm not sure bout the overdriven tube-amp thingy??

Any opinions would be great, it would be used for recording and probably live to (especially in the case of the aphex x-citer)

oh yeah, and anyone know who distributes Countryman in the UK?

2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Si-Bob....do a search on here my friend...this one has been done a million times. My personal liking is the SansAmp pedal. I haven't used the countryman but lots of people like it.
    Sadowsky also makes a really nice DI pedal that's very warm. I have DI connections in all of my components and to be honest, the only reason I wanted a pedal of this type was to liven up the sound of my passive basses when I used them in my rigs. I got a SansAmp used but in excellent condition for a really good price. That being said, I had already decided to get one of them anyway. I really think that it makes a big difference in your input sound. If you can, play through one and you can see that by tweaking the pre-sets you can get virtually any sound you want. The only thing I wouldn't suggest it for is overdrive/distortion. I have a dedicated pedal for that and this is the only area the SansAmp didn't impress me in. Other than that...it's an excellent pedal/DI and I would definately get another one if anything happened to my current one.
    Hope this helped.
  3. thanks
    yeah, like you i'm not interested in the Overdrive side of it, and am really just after something that will act as a DI box for recording and a pre-amp, so i could go straight into a desk/PA live if need be, am i right in thinking that the Aphex Xciter doesn't act as a preamp, and so needs one to go into live, whereas the Sansamp can just go straight to the PA?

4. You don't need to overdrive the Sansamp. It says you can run it in a bypass mode too but then, what's the point of buying it? I see it as a tone-altering tube emulator first, DI second and distortion box last.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You really need to hear them.
  6. But then you're missing out on half of its capabilities!

Where the hell are all of these awesome new smilies coming from??? :bawl: :bassist: :meh: :spit: :bag:
  7. Hey Si-bob,
    I don't know very much on this subject, but my brother does alot of live sound this is what he said... "I haven't heard of the new aphex bass x-citer, but I have used the Contryman for alot of things. It is a great DI. Another option would be a Tude pre. I like ART's because they are cheep but they sound great. They range in price from $79.99 to $119.99. All there models have the same class tube but the more expensive models have cool stuff like VU meters. Anyway here they are ... 1)ART Tube MP $79.99 ... 2)ART Tube MP OPL (Output Protection Limiter) $89.99 ... 3)ART Tube MP Studio ( it has all the features of the first two and has a VU meter witch comes in handy) $99.99 ... 4) ART Tube MP Studio V3 $119.99. These sound great. I put one on a bass a couple weeks ago... it sounded great. I hope this helps.":D
  8. I just love my old Countryman type 85, warm phat and sits nicely in ART Tube MP that I use in some digital recording studios to add some warmth or to cop a vintage vibe by driving the tube just a bit hard. For live stuff I have an old MXR Noise gate/line driver/DI that is the dry send (runs just forever on a 9v battery)and a Behringer Ultra DI 100 for efx.
  9. thanks all
    i took a look at ARTS website (at least i think it was they're website) http://www.artaudio.com/
    and all i could see was overpriced products, and most defiantly not available in the UK?
    *edit* but i'm now seeing all the things u were talking about on musiciansfriend (which also don't ship to the UK) bum

could anybody tell me if i could use the Aphex xciter to go straight to a PA?

10. i really like the idea of the aphex, cos of the effect on my sound. but after seeing the ART stuff on musicians friend, i'm quite interested in them. Does anyone know how i can get info on buying them in the UK.?

11. That's the wrong ART music site you went to. The ART Products (Applied Research and Technology) they were talking about is at http://www.artroch.com/main.html
  12. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Avalon is indeed THE ultimate bass DI.
  15. lowendguy

Feb 20, 2003
    The Bass xciter is like having two boxes in one a clean DI, and a stomp box with the 204 process,
    you can also send a wet or dry signal out the DI

in the UK check with

Stirling House / Pure Distribution
    Kimberley Road
    London NW6 7SF, UK
  16. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I don't know if they have them in the UK..

but Radial Engineering makes a really nice passive DI box called the JDI MK3.

It supposed to be one of the best passive boxes around (and the best active one being the Countryman DI) in that price range..

Just giving a heads up!