1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DI Box question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Meeyo, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Meeyo

Meeyo

Oct 18, 2011
    I've searched around internet and all I could find is that active bass goes with passive DI box, and vice versa, but I couldn't find the answer, what happens when I use active bass with active DI box to connect to mixer?

2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    They should all work fine, honestly.. there can be wierd exceptions, but it should not be an issue

3. It'll work just fine. So will passive to passive. If you listen to all of the combinations in a studio setting, you'll hear some differences. (That's why there are so many different DI's and mic pre's out there - they all sound slightly different.)

If you try them live, you probably won't hear too much difference other than in level.

4. Meeyo

Meeyo

Oct 18, 2011
    So there is no possibility that something can be damaged? I need this for a gig, not studio recording. I guess two preamps can't produce lower output, just higher?

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Any combination will work fine.

Arguably, the biggest reason why that is stated is that passive basses do not have a strong enough signal to drive over a long cable run. An active DI keeps the signal strong to run all the way back to the mixing console. An active bass is generally fairly strong to begin with, so they will be fine driving a longer cable run and only need a passive box.

I use active basses all the time with active DI's.

6. Meeyo

Meeyo

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok, than you guys!

7. Meeyo

Meeyo

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, one more question, this is the DI Box. I need female microphone cable, right?

8. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    A standard XLR mic cable will have a female connector on one end and a male connector on the other.

9. Meeyo

Meeyo

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, but I need the one with female connector on one end, and 1/4" (like guitar cable) on the other end to connect to mixer?

10. The output of the DI goes to Mic input of the mixer, 95% of the mixers worlwide use an XLR conector. The DI is transformig the instrument line signal to a Mic level signal.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

Unless you've got a strange mixer you're going to want a standard XLR mic cable.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. 1/4" into the DI from your bass. XLR (mic) out of the DI into your mixer.

13. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1

If I'm not using my Avalon U5, I always use a Radial J48 Active DI with both my active and passive basses. It's about driving the signal from the DI to the board, not your bass to the DI.

14. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Part of the reason why you wouldn't want to use a passive bass with a passive DI box is that it can "load" your pickups. When you connect a cable to you bass, it creates resistance - ohms - the longer the cable, the more resistance, and this can effect the way your passive pickups work. More resistance will cause you to loose high end, and make your pickups sound dark. In a live setting, you might have a 25' mic cable from the DI to the snake, then maybe 150' of cable in the snake, then more cable back at the board... that's a long way for your signal to travel and a lot of resistance. An active DI will boost the signal from your passive bass so your pick ups don't get loaded.

If you have an active bass, this process is already taken care of in the bass, so you are hitting the DI with a hot signal, and this could possibly introduce distortion in the signal. Passive DI boxes are better at handling a hot signal.

Either one will work fine with any kind of bass, and it probably only makes a difference in extreme cases,,, but none the less, the rule of thumb is: passive bass=active DI... active bass=passive DI.

Use your ears, and if it sounds good to you, don't worry about all the technical stuff. And yes... just a regular old mic cable will get you to the mixer.

15. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    It will work fine, just may be a little more bright. I had a J48 and used a Dingwall Afterburner II 5 with it and it was a tad brittle for my in-ears setup. I traded it for a JDI and it was much smoother. You could fix that in the studio though.

16. Meeyo

Meeyo

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not a problem, I love bright tone! Thank you again guys! Tomorrow I will test active DI on rehearsal.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    IME, some passive pickups loose a fair amount of treble response when run thru a passive DI - especially if you're using a stage snake...

- georgestrings