Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI box straight to poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Does anyone here run a DI box like a Sansamp BBDI into a power amp then into speakers as their rig? There isn't any problems in doing so is there?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I use a BassPodXT into a power amp and it's fine.

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    As long as you are ok with limited EQ, then it'll work just fine. I have run Bass -> SABDDI -> Crown MA 2402 -> cabs before effectively. If you hit a boomy room where you need to be able to cut a certain frequency, you'd better have good EQ control on your instruments onboard preamp. Otherwise you're screwed.

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm looking for a temporary solution until my Ampeg can be repaired. Do I need to run it from the balanced XLR out or can I just run from the 1/4'' out jack?

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    1/4" should work fine and will also leave your DI available for PA duty. Do you have one of the newer SABDDI's? If so, make sure that it is set to line level and not instrument. If you don't have one with this option, then you have an older model that is stuck on instrument level. You'll probably need to dime the output in that case to get a preamp signal that'll be power amp friendly.

Don't mean to sound super negative here. I thought that my old SABDDI/power setup sounded pretty decent considering what it was. Since you don't have any coloring to deal with from an external head, I'd recommend starting with the SABDDI set to the "clean/peizo" setting in the manual (instead of what is actually flat) and go from there. I had pretty good results with that. Even though the presence is boost only, the SABDDI's circuitry seems to kill a little of the high end, so I found myself using it at around 1 o'clock'ish.

Good luck.

6. The Sansamp programmable bass driver sounds great, directly into a power amp.

7. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I know most of you aren't fans of Behringer, but if I were to use one of their DI boxes (BDI21) would the output level be high enough? How would I know?

8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you aren't super pressed for time, you can have a mod done on an older SABDDI to increase the output. If you had this done it would work just as well as the new ones to drive a power amp. If I remember correctly, it is a pretty simple mod that you can either do yourself or have a local tech do with very minimal fuss.

I'm not a fan of the Behringer for reliability (or lack thereof) and other reasons.