1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI Box vs Pre amp?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassgirls, Jun 1, 2014.

1. bassgirls

bassgirls

May 24, 2014
    California
    hey guys. i am trying to record bass into a daw. i have an art tube mp (usb version) preamp that I was plugging into the "input" channel. i assume this is an instrument/high z channel, but i am not sure since i don't have the manual. what i notice is the bass sounds a bit thin/tinny and there's some noise.

do you think i'd be better off with a di box? i used to have a countryman and regret selling it now.

also, i was thinking i could be a male xlr to 1/4" cable and do bass into the mic input on the preamp. this would be balanced and have less noise in theory, correct? would that be exactly the same as using a di box? thanks!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. bassgirls

bassgirls

May 24, 2014
    California
    :( anyone?
    i notice a noise gate helped a lot with the bass hum. but i'm still curious about the original question.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You'll probably want this moved into the recording gear forum.

As for your questions, the Tube MP is essentially a DI. Different units will certainly give you different flavors.

Your Xlr to 1/4" idea wouldn't make a balanced signal as your bass doesn't output a balanced signal to begin with.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  4. bassgirls

bassgirls

May 24, 2014
    California
    thanks, but I mean if I use a 1/4" out (plug this into the bass) and xlr in (put this into the pre-amp). Wouldn't that balance the signal and possible cut noise? I ordered a 1/4 to xlr cable for cheap so I will test it soon. Just wondering.

5. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    As bassgod0dmw said, your bass is unbalanced so it cannot send a balance signal with only a cable, you need a transformer (Direct box) for that. Best way I found for recording bass is Line6 Toneport GX, I paid $80 and it came with usb interface and Pod Farm plugin with 5 bass models.

6. bassgirls

bassgirls

May 24, 2014
    California
    Thanks again. Can you clarify?
    Are you saying the 1/4" must always plug into a front end (like in a DI) and then it converts it to balanced via a transformer? In that case, would plugging the 1/4" directly into the tube mp transform it to balanced signal? The noise I hear may be from something else if that's the case.

7. oneforyes

oneforyes

Jun 16, 2013
    once i recorded bass from an UA LA-610 Preamp, it sounds really nice~

8. oneforyes

oneforyes

Jun 16, 2013
    but most of time, a professional bass DI/Preamp is more realistic, recommend Sadowsky Bass Preamp/DI

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No, it doesn't work that way. In your case, the Tube MP's XLR output would create a balanced signal.

A 1/4" - XLR cable isn't necessarily a balanced cable either. You need to make sure the 1/4" end is TRS rather than TS.

You can plug anything into the Tube MP but it's not going to magically make it balanced. The XLR output of the Tube MP is balanced. The 1/4" output is unbalanced. So if you connect an XLR cable (or 1/4" TRS - XLR...or 1/4" TRS - 1/4" TRS) to the XLR output on the Tube MP you'll have a balanced signal.

BTW, the manual is available right on Art's website.
    http://artproaudio.com/downloads/owners_manuals/om_tubemp.pdf