1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

di box with "balanced" 1/4 inch out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IcedEarthWOM, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. IcedEarthWOM


    Oct 2, 2005
    does anyone know of any. all the ones I've looked up only have the XLR or don't say if the output is "balanced"/appropriate for a mixing board.

    The SansAmp BDDI has both XLR and 1/4" outs regulated by a level knob but the site doesn't say if the 1/4" is appropriate for a mixing board. and there's no download for a manual, etc.

    I've read good reviews on the BDDI on this site and others and am hoping to use one as just a DI box but I need the 1/4 jack.

    please help :bawl:
  2. bongomania

    bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are a few rackmount channel strips you can use as a DI which have TRS outs. Or you can get a TRS to XLR cable, or make one yourself fairly cheaply. Also you can check your mixer's specs, it may have servo-balanced inputs which take both TS and TRS signals. Mackies for instance.
  3. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If your board has 1/4" inputs, then it'll work fine with a regular unbalanced line from your bass. The 1/4" output on most DI's is unbalanced so it will work with standard 1/4" cables. But they're usually designed to go into the bass amp while the XLR out goes to your board. Does your board not have XLR inputs?
  4. Jazz Ad

    Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

    All Soundcraft boards I've ever checked also had TRS jack inputs.
  5. IcedEarthWOM


    Oct 2, 2005
    I'm using/wanting to use the back panel sound inputs on my computer. And, before someone states the obvious, no I will not get a sound card. My onboard sound doed 7.1 surround, Digital (RCA) out/in, and has a line in and a mic jack. So, I see no reason to not use it.

    thats why I need a 1/4 inch jack (I already have a 1/4 to 1/8 plug). But I also need a clean level boost (I've tryed going with just the pedals and it's too low) that I can control (I tryed using my amps phones jack and the signals too loud for the inputs unless I turn the amp volume to 0 :( ) and the BDDI seems to have all of these, and more (I also don't wan't to limit my options).

    I guess what I'm asking is: Can I boost the direct sound from my pedals without adding anything (no amp emulation), and will I get the full signal even if the level knob is at its low end (less than a 1/4 of the way on, cus I really don't know how much I'll need to turn it)??????????????

    thanks in advance.

    EDIT: the reason I ask about a "balanced" out is that I'm not sure if thats whats up when I used the amp.
  6. Jazz Ad

    Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

    Sound card inputs are unbalanced so you don't need a balanced jack.
    The sensibility of a mic input on a sound card is more than enough even to plug the bass directly into it.
  7. IcedEarthWOM


    Oct 2, 2005
    Sweet, so it's not the jack on my amp :smug:

    I probably should've mentioned that I have a passive bass. So I guess the real questions now are:
    1) on the SansAmp BDDI if the level knob is below a 1/4 turn is the output the same as the input, only louder?
    2) if the level knob is at minimum is the output the same level as the input?

    the reason I ask is that my amp's volume has to be at least at a 1/4 turn otherwise it sounds "thin", but the inputs on my computer can't handle that much volume!!!!!!!
  8. Jazz Ad

    Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

    Fine. :)

    The sensibility of a mic input on a sound card is more than enough even to plug your passive bass directly into it.
  9. ...only when the effect is active, otherwise it's -

    A decent mixing board can handle a wide variety of signals, and so, balanced or not it'll be fine to plug either the 1/4" or the XLR into a mixing board.

    which may or may not mean the 1/4" jacks are balanced inputs.

    Compare the effected with the bypassed levels. That's the only way to match the volume.
  10. IcedEarthWOM


    Oct 2, 2005
    btw what does TRS stand for :confused: :eek: :(

    hehehe. Saw mic, Read line.... :eek: sorry....
  11. prockenklang


    May 22, 2003
    Millennia TD-1
  12. maxvalentino

    maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

    Not exactly "just" a DI (neither is the TD-1), but the Demeter HBP1 tube bass preamp features a balanced XLR, unbalanced 1/4" and balanced TRS outputs (all of which can be used simultaneously!)

    Most pro level digital cards Do have balanced inputs (and it was for this reason I was using a HBP1 for sometime)....looking right now at my M-Audio Delta 66 the ins and outs are balanced on TRS (but, of course, it is totally possible to use unbalanced lines there...), as are the inputs, outputs and inserts on my Soundcraft Desk.

    In my experience I have found it totally possible, though not always acceptable to use 1/4" standard plugs with TRS jacks....but mind you the inverse is not true (cannot use a TRS plug on a 1/4" jack)

  13. TRS = tip, ring, sleeve = stereo jack.

    Again, just to be clear, TRS sockets or jacks are NOT necessarily balanced signals.

    Plugging a balanced signal on a TRS jack into a standard mono socket is fine. To connect a balanced source to an unbalanced input you must ground one of the phases, and this is exactly what a standard mono socket will do for you by virtue of the fact that the mono socket effectively shorts the ring to the sleeve.

    The inverse, plugging an unbalanced source on a standard mono jack into a TRS balanced input will also work. Balanced inputs are differential, and since the signal present at the tip is "different" to the "signal" present at the ring, then it will pass through the differential amp and be amplified.
  14. endlessbassic


    Dec 23, 2004
    There's something obvous being overlooked here: your input is *line* level, which is +4db.. you need to have something pre-amplifying your signal, as the pre in the computer (most likely) will not be able to bring your bass signal up to that level. Try this:


    If the jack wants to 'see' a TRS plug, that's what you should give it. You always want to get the level as close to the computers' specified input level, and i suppose this applies somewhat universally. And for the record, my Soundcraft board has TRS inputs, but they too operate only at line level.. Hope this helps.
  15. Free Tibet

    Free Tibet Guest

    Sep 20, 2005
    Radial makes a DI for "DJs" that has stereo RCA outs. Check this.