1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI Box?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by NZBassman, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Hard to beat an AKG P2 for $100 + postage. Full range and pretty flat mic.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

[​IMG]

Brilliant! I learned something today. I didn't even know such an adapter existed. Thanks for sharing.

This is much better than lifting the ground on your amp! ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. thanks for that - I'll print it out and see if any of the music shops here sell that or something similar :bassist: :D

4. Got a dud mic cable? Remake it into a stubby cable with the screen not soldered at the male end. Same thing. Save $30.

BassCliff likes this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Those adapters are $6, but still... Another brilliant idea! I've got a few dud cables. Maybe I can sell them to my friends? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The chasis ground is there for a reason--- any fault would have to be carried by the shield of the DI cable-- it might not have the current carrying capacity-- you could die.

7. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    You only got away with it because there was no fault in the amp. Chasis grounds only work when they need to--- most of the time that's never. Lift the audio ground--- it's there to send electrical noise to ground. Chasis ground is there for safety.

8. There's a saying I've learned in the many risk-management seminars I've had to attend.

"Predictable is preventable." Worst case scenario when using AC ground lift: you get electrocuted and die.

Use an inline XLR ground lift. No need to worry.

BassCliff likes this.
  9. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I must admit-- I have used this method to get rid of 60 cycle hum, but it's not a safe ground lift because it lifts the chassis ground ,not the audio ground
    ( shield).
    Electrocution is possible in a worst case scenario.

BassCliff likes this.
  10. dheafey

dheafey

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    One of the best explanations of ground loops and how to fix them is from Rane. Possibly a bit "overkill" for this thread, but a great reference to have:

Sound System Interconnection

11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    There are 3 connections at each end of the XLR cable--- 2 of them are conductors, and the third is the bare shield that goes to the shell of the connector. Open one end of the cable (preferably the F, end, closest to the source, not the mixing board or snake). Clip that connection with wire cutters so it doesn't come into contact with the shell. When you are done and re-assemble the cable, check with an ohm meter that there is no continuity shell to shell. This is what the ground lift does on a DI box. If you alter any XLR cables, be sure to mark them. You only want to use them if there is hum due to a ground loop.

12. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    "Ground Lift" on your amp may be for the AC input. You want to remove the ground connection from your XLR (DI Out) rather than the amp's chassis ground. The cable will still be grounded from the opposite (PA) end, and your amp chassis will still be safety grounded. If your amp doesn't have a ground lift for the DI, often times a mixer will have one. If not, there are adapters or you can make your own pretty easily (don't connect Pin 1 of just one end of an XLR cable).

s0c9 likes this.