Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

di boxes/processors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steve-gan, Jan 16, 2003.

1. steve-gan

steve-gan

Aug 6, 2002
    i just recently bought a korg triton. i have it going into a 6 channel powered mixer then into 2 monitors. a quasi PA system. i figured with the money spent on this set-up, i would not buy a seperate bass head/cabinet. the bass doesn't sound all to bad through it. i'm told i'll not get as "clean" a sound thru the PA as i would with amps/heads made for bass--is this true? i do have a DI box going into the mixer from the bass. this DI box has NO eq's or effects--you just plug in your bass. i would like to be able to modify my tone. however, i'm confused on the differences between: 1)processors 2)di boxes with pre-amps 3)the new Boss GT-6B effects station. i'm very interested in your opinions. p.s.--anybody out there have any feedback on the Boss GT-6B? thanks for reading--long winded i know, but i had much to ask. steve

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't be affraid the run your bass through the "PA". It's true that a bass amp will work better but the PA should get you by. You could probably do without the DI if you're using the PA by itself. DI's are more for those who want to send a signal to a PA and and amp as well. DI with a processor will give you more tone shaping options but you'll probably find you get enough control over your sound from the eq on the PA.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    In the early days, when I were a lad, I couldn't afford a bass amp, so I just plugged straight in the desk. It worked quite well, but the band was playing old blues/rock covers, so crystal clean tones weren't an issue.
    My amp is now part of my tone, so I would feel kind of lost without it, and just wouldn't sound the same.

I jabe the GT6B, it prob be very useful to you, as it has pretty good amp modelling. Only 6 models, but how many does a bassist really need, and is Joe Public gonna really tell the difference between 32 amp models.
    I can get pretty convincing tones for recording, but I haven't yet tried it direct into the PA, but it does have stereo XLR out specifically for this. You can also store diffent amp settings with fx for various tunes

Thinkinf about what I just said, I could probablt duplicate my patches, with amp sims turned on, just in case my amp goes boobies up.