1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI for combining Mic and direct out signal

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jpoff, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jpoff

jpoff Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2012
    So, this is a very specific item i'm looking for. Ive not been able to find anything, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords. Thats where you guys come in.

Problem: When I play shows where I bring my own amp, most sound engineers will simply run a line to the direct out on my amp. Its the quickest and easiest way to get good tone to FOH. Asking for an extra line for a mic on the cab is simply too complicated in most situations.

What I am looking for is a DI that combines 2 xlr ins into 1 xlr out. This would allow me to mic my cab, run the direct out on my amp, combine them both, then send 1 signal to front of house. REQUIREMENTS: The DI must have independent volume control over both xlr ins, a phase switch, a ground lift, and obviously 2 in - 1 out.
    I don't need to increase the signal level. I'll already be at mic level before it hits the DI, but I know the volume control will still color the sound slightly.

Any of you guys know where I could find something like this?
    Thanks!
    Jerad

2. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    Hmmmm, you want a device to mix two mic level signals. I wonder what that could be.

A mixer.

Get yourself an old 4 channel Mackie mixer and you're all set. Show that to your sound man and he'll give you the extra line so that he can control the mix.

s0c9 likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

OP:
    and guess what? the FOH already has one! and then there's this: it's his job to combine and mix those two signals. ;)

s0c9 likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah you want a small mixer. Check out the Rolls offerings. They make all kinds of tiny mixers in a "box" format.

Maybe an MX310? I didn't see one that was only two inputs. That one has three but you could always not use one. I admit I only did a quick and dirty skim through their web site though.

5. Order of pfaffing about magnitude much reduced if you just mic the cab. You have to

look like you know you're doing,

sound like you know what you're doing,

and have a mic tone that does the business with minimal tweaking required.

Showing up with a mini mixer and a mic pretty well assures a fail on the first two points.

s0c9 likes this.
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I've never had a sound person refuse to mic my cab. I always ask what they'd prefer, mic or DI, and they always leave it to me. Depends on the stage plot and the expected stage volume. Sometimes I just give both, and let the sound guy use whatever is best. And I always send the DI signal pre-EQ. I do many acoustic shows with just my MB200 and an 8" GK Shuttle cab (that sounds a LOT bigger than it looks ... grin!).

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  7. Just going to play Devil’s advocate, and remind mic enthusiasts that not every stage amp sound is ideal for Front Of House sound.

I can certainly sympathize with professionals who’ve spent thousands on the search for a perfect amp sound, insisting it be mic’d, but the average player, with average equipment, could be doing the audience a disservice by insisting they be mic’d.

Gearhead17 and jimfist like this.
  8. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    You need a small mixer not a 2 input DI , you could get a small Mackie or similar or Rolls or ART make small 3/4 channel mixers that could fit in a pedalboard and art and behringer offer rack mount mixers if you have a rack and prefer that.

I do this for a clean and dirty channel for bass mainly to save inputs on bands mixer.

Would be nice if sound guys would just Mic of you ask and many will. Sometimes though at some venues depending on the bands they may be out of inputs and can only spare 1 line for bass.
    At other venues this is not a problem

9. Quoting snips out of context is trolling.

10. Nah. It was laziness. Plus, I had no idea what “pfaffing” was.

11. Rane mlm-42 mic/line mixer.

LiquidMidnight likes this.