1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI for Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hennessybass, Oct 22, 2013.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Looking for some advice, feedback, etc...

I'm looking for a nice DI box that I can use for recording, and possibly also use it live to go FOH. I play passive basses, and often use tube amps live. I have been using a Countryman, but lost it on a road gig. With the countryman gone, I need to get something.

If I go for just another DI box, I will probably just re-buy a countryman (so no JDI recommendations please:smug:). But, I'm thinking about making an upgrade to something with a tube / transformer.

Recording is in a home / semi-pro studio. The engineer (our keyboard player) has lots of nice gear, but only so much, so all the "nice" pre-amps get used for drum mics, piano sounds, etc.

Some options...

Summit Audio TD-100 -- seems like it would be nice for studio and stage. Nice price, nice form factor... 1/2 the price of a REDDI (new).

REDDI -- I know it's the best;), but it is expensive, and pretty big / heavy for live work.

Demeter VTDB-2B -- the fact that it doesn't have a direct out kind of worries me, especially thinking about live use.

Aguilar DB-900 -- same as the Demeter. I've heard the output doesn't play nice with some amps.

Or, just stick with the countryman? Maybe try using my Aggie TH350 as a pre for recording?

Any thoughts? Can you mod the Demeter or Aggie so that the 1/4" out is an unaffected out?

2. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    You were correct when you said the REDDI is the best. If you have the money, it's definitely a long-term investment worth making. The DI is what sends your tone to the FOH or recording console, so it's arguably the most important piece of equipment after your bass. I would even say it's more important than your amp in recording situations, or in live shows with PA support. The size and weight of the REDDI won't bother you at all after you hear what it does for your tone.

3. Fat240

Fat240

Feb 19, 2010
    Lynchburg, VA
    I had a REDDI and would choose that for solely DI purposes. I upgraded to a Monique pre because the DI to me was toe for toe and the added features made it much more versitile to consolidate the rest of my gear. But out of the one's listed the REDDI is worth the extra money. Just don't let anyone steal it ;)

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    If you like the Ampeg sound a VT bass DI is supposed to be pretty good and only around 200$.

5. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have actually considered that. Not sure that I am looking for that particular color, although I love recording with my B15, and may be able to get that sound. ... which I suppose I could get out of the REDDI as well.

6. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I'm a low buck player but for over a decade I've used a BDDI for an tube emulation/DI. For recording I use the dry out so I get two tracks. I've also heard the Tonehammer is excellent as well. Like I said, not the big buck item, but for me it works well on some many levels. To address the mid scoop I had Mike Putnum add a mid control so it's more like a RBI in a box.

7. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I had a BDDI, and didn't really care for it. Was mostly using it for color in front of an amp.

Seen a few folks out there using the Avalon U5. The Pre-73 looks kind of cool too.

8. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    www.basstasters.com

I've used the REDDI, own the Demeter and used to own the Summit.

You really don't need an affected out. It's not gonna make a huge difference in your amp. The Summit has one, and it's the only I know of. Nice feature but really unnecessary especially if your amp is decent.

The REDDI really is the best, but the Summit and Demeter do really great, too.

This was the REDDI:
    https://soundcloud.com/briandukesong/anna-su-paper-boats-i-cant-let

This is the Summit:
    https://soundcloud.com/briandukesong/06-track-06

This is the Demeter (I think):
    https://soundcloud.com/briandukesong/09-09-jericho

Thing is, I used totally different basses and strings. Hollowbody w/flats, Big Singles w/rounds, graphite necked fretless.

And what makes something stand out even more is how hot it is in the mix. Often the hotness makes the track "sound better" because you notice the high end DI less on a quieter track.

9. Jimmy74

Jimmy74

Nov 21, 2010
    Singapore
    Something different, but would have already been brought up in some older thread.

Avenson Audio Iso-DI.

Got mine for cheap used. About $60. Phantom powered only. Small. Great transparent sounding DI. Doesn't seems to color your bass onboard preamp/passive tone. Good to keep in the gig bag as a spare.

10. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have been on basstasters. Great site. I agree with you about not needing an affected out. Seems like to me, more of these tube DIs have the affected out than don't.

Nice clips drnknmstr!

11. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If you're going to choose between any of these, I'd go with the Summit. It has the most useful features, sounds as good as anything in its class, great for live and studio application, it's easy to fit in a gig bag.

I'd swap out again but I don't want to hassle with it. The Demeter does sound good, too, so I'm just gonna keep it. The Countryman works great for my live uses.

And thanks!

12. BassistAlex

BassistAlex

Nov 5, 2013
    Borne
    I've got the Avalon U5. I had the choice between the REDDI and the Avalon and i choose the Avalon, because of the tone shaping curves. However, The REDDI is still one of the best Tube di's:)

13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If you can afford it, a Demeter Tube DI is the best thing I've ever heard for studio and live applications.

14. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. My countryman DI actually came back to me!! Unreal. I left it a a club in Uvalde, TX. My guit player also left a very expensive mic. The club owners tracked down our stuff and mailed it back to us, no charge... good people.

So, sticking with the countryman for now. May try my TH350 as a direct recording device too next time.

15. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    If not the REDDI then the TAB V71DI, both are preamps *and* DI's.

16. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Ya. I think I would go with the REDDI, but just going to save my money and stick with the Countryman for right now.

17. lowdown_billy

lowdown_billy Supporting Member

I love hearing stories like that!

18. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Taking these two points in order:
    1. I've played the db900 through dozens of amps and it always works fine and sounds great. I basically don't play without mine no matter what the rig/circumstance.

2. You could certainly mod the Aggie to do this, but rather than muss with an expensive (and increasingly rare) box I would put something upstream to split the signal. I think (someone can correct me) that something like the boss ls2 would be able to do this. The SVT Tube DI allows for switchable output affected/unaffected. I have this DI as well as the Aggie and it's a quality unit if you can find one. If you can't, the Khan DI is designed by the same engineer.

Mike