Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI from Carvin RC210 too hot?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lermgalieu, Jul 19, 2002.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I have been getting complaints from sound engineers that my DI out of my Carvin is too hot - either set at pre or post. This is with multiple basses. I have tried both the passive and the active inputs, tried cutting the input gain way down, and no success. Has anyone else had this experience? Are my basses too hot for this amp?

- Jack Casady bass
    - Fender P-lyte with frets pulled out and EMGs installed intead of factory pups
    - 3/4 double bass with a K&K pup system/preamp.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Believe me - you're not the first to mention that the DI on the Carvin R heads is too hot. I've seen others reporting the same thing over the last couple of years. Many players even use the R head's DI in the studio.

Being a tech nincompoop, I don't know why some folks experience the hot DI and some don't. I guess Carvin's Dr. Sound is the guy to ask.

FWIW, I haven't had the problem with my R heads. But I've DI'ing out of my SansAmp Bass Driver anyway for quite a while now.

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dr Sound, eh, I will give him a try. I am glad to know I have company. The thing is, although everyone tells me its too hot, they end up making it sound great anyway...