1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DI help!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapmachine, Jan 9, 2012.

1. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    Can someone please explain to me what a DI accomplishes that makes it a unique effect, why it is so deeply coveted by studio / live musicians, which brands are deeply invested in quality, which models are known for reliability and performance, and lastly your own experiences!!

If you're willing to help me on an even further level regarding my current recording troubles which could relate to the DI here's another thread I created in "Recording Gear and Equipment" so I wouldn't clog up the threads within "Effects"

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/di-recording-help-842721/

Best regards, and thank you in advance for any and all help!

Brooks :bassist:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A DI, (Direct Injection) is not an effect. It is a device that takes your high impedance bass signal, and turns it into a low impedance "line level" signal, suitable for connecting to a mixer for live or studio use.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Low impedance but not necessarily line level. ;) It also balances the line, for rejecting noise over long cable lengths. Of course there are different quality ranges, and some of them do color the tone, and that's why a bassist or recording engineer will pick one over another, or pay large money for one. They are paying for quality, and/or a specific tone only provided by the unit they're buying, and/or some hype. Lots and lots of hype.

Here's some reading: BEST DI - Google Search

Here's a bit about DI's versus preamps: Preamps Explained

4. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Check this out:

The Radial JDI explained - YouTube

It really makes a difference as to the quality of the DI that you get. The guitarist in our band is was having a hum coming from his amp with his very inexpensive DI. I swapped his for my JDI and the hum was gone-dead quiet. He's getting his own real quick!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

5. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    This helped a lot, thanks man. Thanks to everyone above too for helping me clarify what's going on!!

Best regards,

Brooks