Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI in effects chain - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JazzFusionB0rg, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Howdy - just a quick question...

Being an effects fan (for funk styles), I'd like a DI to capture my effects loop and not just plain bass. Would it be ok if I ran a DI box last in my effects loop to achieve this *or* would the impedance matching cause problems/degredation of my sound?

ie.

Bass -> Amp Input -> Amp's SEND -> Various effects + DI box -> Amp's RETURN -> Amp Output -> Cabs

Also - has anyone even heard of a BSS AR-133 DI box? Again this is a case of Australia's range of products being *nothing* and overpriced (shops don't even know what Countryman / Radial brands are). :(

Cheers.

I did use the search feature but could not find anything relevant to DI boxes in effects loops

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The question is where are sending the signal to? A simple splitter might be all that you need.

3. I need to send a balanced line into a mixing desk.

Microphones aren't as pain free as DIs, plus if I modify my stage volume the guy on the desk has to compensate so the house volume won't be effected.

Surely bassists can use DI with effects in their mix? How do they do it? :confused:

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You can add a DI after the effects loop and it won't hurt you. Get a DI with a good reputation. Good DI's don't color the sound.

5. Just looking at your set up, why don'y you run

Bass -> FXs -> Amp input

and use the D.I. on your SWR SM-400S?

I run my Bass -> Boss ME-50B -> Amp Input SWR SM900 using the amp D.I.

Turning the master volume will not effect the D.I. volume but running it this way will give the sound man all of my FXs. I don't know if this true with all amps but it is with SWR stuff. Read the SWR amp manual for more suggestions.

6. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    A DI with a 1/4" parallel might do the trick.

I have the MXR M80 DI+, it has both 1/4 and XLR outs. Plus, a 1/4" parallell output and a two channel preamp to boot.
    Nice.

7. 48V Phantom power destroys the older SWRs (literally) :(

I just want to play it safe... :bag:

8. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I run a SABDDI after all my effects (which are placed between the bass and the amp), and run the XLR to the board and the effected 1/4" to the amp.