1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI in pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but would running a DI (ex. Demeter Tube DI) as the first "pedal" on my pedalboard, benefit me in any way? For the record, I don't have a DI this is simply a question.

2. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    generally you want to run DI last, unless you want to send the house a clean signal.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sometimes. It depends on the design of the DI, and what you're trying to achieve. For example, a DI typically has two outputs, the DI out (meant to feed a mixer or a mic preamp) and a "thru" out meant to run into the instrument input of your stage amp. You can put effects before the DI if you want their sound to go to the mixer; or you can put the effects between the "thru" out and the stage amp if you don't want their sound in the PA or the recorded track (yes, there are some very good reasons for doing that). The "thru" output of a DI may be a direct uncolored, unchanged connection to the input signal; or it may be after any tube, transformer, or other coloration circuit stage, with all tonal qualities included.

IOW, it depends.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    It'd be cool to send a DI signal first for clean tone and a solid foundation, then mic your cab for effects and coloration.

5. Jouni

Jouni

Feb 8, 2008
    Porvoo
    I've ordered the Aphex bass exciter just because of it's DI qualities...
    Should my amp fail, or would I not like someone else's amp being used at a gig, I'd have the DI option right at my feet.