DI-ing of all tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Say I have an all tube amp, I want it's distinctive sound to be sent to the PA but I don't want to mic the cab.

As far as I know, there are DI-boxes which can be connected to the speaker output of an amp.
    Can I hook up such a DI-box AND a cab to an all tube amp?
    What will be the overall load represented to the amp?

Thanks in advance,
  2. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    The Countryman DI, I believe, has a speaker level/instrument level selector switch. John's thing is cool too!
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    The Hughes&Kettner Red Box takes speaker level ouput and simulates a cab, then DI.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    The THD Hotplate will do it
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Avalon U5 can take a speaker output of up to 400 watts.
  6. I second the Countryman DI.I have used one with an old 72-SVT right out of the speaker outputs.It doesn't change the impedence load or power output of the head at all.It's the only one I've used this way so some of these other ones may work the same way.
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    After reading the manuals of the Countryman DI and the H&K Redbox I think I've got it:

The impedance of the DI is so high (10kOhms resp. 20kOhms) that it has (almost) no influence on total load when hooked up in parrallel:
    E.g. if I use it with a 4 Ohm cab:

The THD Hotplate additionally offers a 'dummy load' so that you can run the amp without cab too. However this is limited to 185W -> not suitable for SVT's or Mesa Boogies...

So now, this makes tube amps an interesting option for me.
    SH**! GAS is building up....

PS: I'm thinking of the Orange AD200B... looks so sweet and is said to sound killer....