1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DI into another DI/Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Nov 27, 2009.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Hey Folks
    I need some help from the tech side of TB's brains. I've got an A-designs Reddi that makes my bass sound significantly better (at home); I believe mostly because I run the DI Out (the Reddi's signature) into my power amp. However, I'd like to work at sending that same signal to a stage rig and to the PA simultaneously.

This would mean running the XLR out into a specific gadget that would split the signal into another DI Out (for the PA) and whichever other out (most likely an XLR and 1/4) I wish to plug into my power amp. For various reasons...If I do this...the gadget I'd use after the Reddi would be a preamp already designed and in the manufacturer's hands--Just awaiting my O.K.

If this gadget is of lesser quality than the Reddi, will this significantly change the DI signal to the PA?
    &
    Am I going a bit overboard by using a Reddi just to have a better signal going into a preamp that'll (by design) change that signal anyway? After all, I'm sure I can do it in a less costly way.

I'd really like your opinions please.
    Thanks

2. marksdbass

marksdbass

Nov 23, 2009
    Tech 21 sansamp Bass driver D.I. has an XLR and 1/4 output.
    They also make other D.I.'s that would do the job, it all depends how much you want to pay.

A small mixer would also work. How big's your gig bag?...
    Sky's the limit.

3. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

Nov 14, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Make a Y cable....

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Radial makes a balanced line splitter, which would be better than a Y cable because it is designed to avoid loading and feedback between the outputs. From there, you could use any mic pre channel strip as your rig preamp. Or use one of the Markbass heads that has an XLR input.

5. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Thanks for your ideas guys, but... Well, here's the thing.

First, The Reddi is new to me and I'm not sure I'm willing to give it up just yet; I want to try to figure out an idea of how to best use it. Also, it does have both XLR and 1/4" outs. It's just that the 1/4 is a 'through-jack' and doesn't go through the same signal path (tube) that the XLR does, so I don't want to use the 1/4".

Certainly a Y-cable is not the way to go. A Radial Line Splitter is something to consider, but I'm looking for more than that.

And yeah, I could go with the Markbass or some other amp with an XLR input, but I do already have two preamps in my posession and I'd still want even more than that.

To try to sum up my thoughts...
    * I could go from the Reddi into my LowEnd True Voice, but I'm just not sure I want to hang with that tube sticking out the top any more. It's just too delicate for this blind man to continue to mess with. I actually picked up the Reddi to replace my LETV.
    * I could go from the Reddi into my Trace Elliot V-type pre, but I'd need an XLR-to-1/4" converter...and still want more than that.

So instead of purchasing another head/preamp, where I'd still desire another gadget or two, I thought I might just get a device made that has all the extras I'm looking for built into it already. I am in communication with Max at SFX (thanks Bongo) about building something, but I'm still deciding whether I want a simple device to use with one of my current preamps, or have a single preamp/DI with all the extras (LPF/HPF, splitter with individual variable controls, XLR input, etc) already built into it.

Either way, the questions still remain...

Will such a device significantly change the Reddi's signal to the PA?
    &
    Is using the Reddi to sweeten up my signal--just to have it changed by another device--a foolish idea in a live situation?

Thanks again.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Off the shelf, you could combine Radial's splitter with a "re-amp box", which is basically a DI in reverse. Most passive DI's can be used "backwards" anyway, but there are also boxes specialized for that purpose, and of course Radial makes those too.

I do like the idea of a simple all-in-one package though, and I think Max would do a fine job of it. His Thumpinator doesn't color my signal at all, so I have no doubt he could make your custom device transparent too, not harming or altering the REDDI's tone.

In fact I like that idea better than having him make you a total preamp package, because with the small module you would be able to use any other preamp you like. But of course the bonus of having a complete preamp built entirely to your specs is that you can have the controls designed ideally for your vision and tactile needs.

7. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Originally, I asked Max to build me a Thumpinator that would be modified to split the XLR signal from my Reddi. After eMailed discussions (in his viewpoint), it turned out I was asking for a preamp/di that could also be used as a stand-alone unit.

Now that I've had it for a few days, I guess I'm not even certain I'll keep the Reddi--I certainly don't need it--but if I have him build this I'll be ready to use it with any device.

Thanks all.

8. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    Hi,

Just wondering if you tried this solution. I am having the same issue with the REDDI - creating a wet signal to go to pre amp.

Thanks!

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Sell the REDDI and get a Noble tube DI. Does everything you want in a much smaller package. Sounds better, too (to my ears) because it does not have an upper mid bump like REDDI.