1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI into channel strip. Any benefits?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyTheDude, May 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AndyTheDude

AndyTheDude

Aug 12, 2007
    Ireland
    I'm thinking of getting a DI, the Radial Engineering JDI.

I have a JoeMeek SIXQ2 channel strip that feeds my Crown XLS 1500 power amp.

The problem is, the output of my Warwick Thumb is very hot and uneven across the strings. The E string makes the SIXQ2's compressor go crazy even at the modest settings.

Would getting a DI and using the MIC in on the JoeMeek instead of the instrument input help a bit?

I've read a lot of good reviews of the JDI, but don't know whether putting a DI in front of a channel strip is a good idea.

2. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    First thing I'd do is get your bass set up properly. Also there may be a trim pot inside the bass's control panel that you can turn down

BoughtTheFarm, B-string and agedhorse like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    IMO, putting a DI in front of a channel strip (that was not mic level input only) is a bit like putting the cart before the proverbial horse.

First thing to do is have the bass checked out and set up by a pro luthier (not somebody who thinks that by being able to install new strings makes them a luthier). It may be that there is something wrong with the bass that's causing your symptoms, and if that's true, you will be MUCH happier with the results of your bass all around when it's set up correctly.

If the set-up is good, it might be a good idea for the same luthier to watch you play to see if there is something you may be doing that you are unaware of that might be responsible. It's always better to solve the problem than band-aid it, in the long run you will have a better playing bass.

BoughtTheFarm and B-string like this.
  4. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    It really seems like it's the bass to me. I once had a (mia) p bass with a much louder e string then the rest of the strings. So I got an Allen Key and a screw driver out to lower the e string side of the pick and maybe raise the saddles but before I did i tapped the pick up poles with the screw driver and you could feel that the e string magnet was stronger then the rest. The only fix for the was a new pick up and now it's sweet.

5. BoughtTheFarm

BoughtTheFarm

Apr 29, 2016
    Iowa
    Besides the instrument set-up subject already mentioned, gain-staging is your friend. If you're not sure what that means, let me know.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The JDI is a good DI, but if you expect it to level the output of your bass, it is not designed for that. You can run into the DI and route that to your channel strip either via the balanced signal (what you have called mic?) or with just a parallel of your instrument signal.

The first would not really accomplish anything, but the second would allow you to send the unbalanced signal to your channel strip as you do now, and the balanced DI out to your PA—sans any processing from your channel strip—which is not likely what you have in mind, either.

A good set up and check up is in order. Also, perhaps your compressor has multiple bands that are not configured correctly? Pickup height can make a big difference, especially if your neck has a hump or relief issues.

7. AndyTheDude

AndyTheDude

Aug 12, 2007
    Ireland
    Thanks for the replies.

No point of getting a DI then... was hoping the extra transformer would even out the signal a bit.

I've had the bass set up several times since I bought it. Couple of those guys were luthiers actually. I cannot remember whether I pointed out to them the signal problem, probably I never did.

Oh well, I'll take the Warwick to a well known pro in Dublin. I will get fleeced no doubt.

Thanks again.

8. hop over to the basses forum. Free help all day and all night to learn about setting it up yourself.

Compressing it to level it out is like opening a can of beans with a blunt axe. Effective but hell messy.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed. Either you need a pro setup or need to look at your technique. Might just need to have the pickup height adjusted. JDI is a killer DI especially with an active bass, but its not a compressor.