1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

DI -> MacBook: Do I Need More Than an iRig and Audacity?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Icculus, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Icculus

Icculus Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Brotherly Love
    Sorry for having the "audacity" :D to create another post on this subject, but I searched quite a bit and nothing is really answering the central question.

I want to record a passive bass on my MacBook using the DI on my combo's preamp and GarageBand or Audacity. Just me; no multichannel stuff. What is the advantage of using something like an Apogee One or M-Audio interface over the cheaper iRig? The goal is to keep this cost-effective but still get solid audio quality. If the iRig sucks out the quality, then OK... let's upgrade, but given that my EQ in my preamp and can be adjusted in GarageBand , do I need much more than a simple converter to get the bass into the MacBook?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The iRig would be fine for your purposes, except that I don't think it accepts an XLR input. If you want to use your amp's DI you'd need to get an XLR friendly interface. Otherwise just plug straight into the iRig and forgo the amp entirely.

3. Icculus

Icculus Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Brotherly Love
    Thanks! I suppose could use the "Tuner Out" feature on the pre-amp to go to the iRig 1/4 inch plug.

Is there a big difference in quality from the iRig to something like the FocusRite Scarlett Solo? I'm struggling to see the difference between using the iRig with GarageBand vs. an interface from M-Audio, FocusRite, Apogee, etc. With prices being all over the place, you'd think it'd be a lot more clear.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There might be some incremental step up in quality as you go from the iRig to M-Audio to Focusrite to Apogee, but for your purposes it won't make any difference at all.

Icculus likes this.
  5. What iRig do you talk about? The cheap one that isn't a usb-interface but just connects to the audio in of a computer or phone or tablet for about 40,-? I would never use that 'cause it uses the cheap audio-in of your computer or phone. For example it wouldn't record anything under 200 HZ if you connect it to an iPhone.
    IMHO even the cheapest used USB-interface would be better.
    The iRig-HD for about 80,- would be o.k.
    But if you ask me, I would invest a few bugs more to have two inputs and xlr-inputs and buy a relatively cheap Focusrite, Steinberg or something similar.

Or maybe just spend 13,-:
    the t.bone USB 1G

Or maybe less than for the iRig-HD and you got an XLR-input and it is as small or smaller than the iRIG:
    Alesis Core 1

6. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    I think you should be able to go straight in, via the mic input on the side of your macbook - use one of these type leads, with an adapter mzToPx6_HPzqXM2jL9E75qg.jpg or get one with a mini-jack in place already. Check first to make sure you'll be getting the signal you require out of the amp. But my guess is you probably won't need much else.

7. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    ^^ This. I have a few of these from Monoprice that are cheap and work really well.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021