1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI noob help, please?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BOOG, May 14, 2019 at 6:24 PM.

Tags:
  1. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hello All,

During the last week or so I have decided I am going to get a DI. Since looking into these and trying to learn more there’s one question I haven’t found the answer to...

When I run a DI (ex. GK PLEX, AMPEG SCR-DI, MESA BOOGIE DI, etc...) with my amp, will it bypass the host preamp? In other words, will I only be hearing the EQ of the pedal and the amp EQ will not be (heard) in the circuit/chain? Are there ways to use the pedal where the host EQ is bypassed and other ways to chain everything so that it is part of the signal?

Thank you everyone for stopping in to giggle at the noob:help:

Even more thanks out to the helpful comments :)

2. Hey Boog, good question the answer is it depends on where the preamp\di is inserted in your signal path or chain. Some amplifiers have a pre or post loop, this is before or after the EQ usually and sometimes it also bypasses any gain stages but you will have to check your owners manual for specifics.

It usually helps to map or chart everything out so you understand all the in and outs and possibilities. For example my amp is a GK MB 500 with a pre switch on the DI that assigns the signal from the input to the DI. Post is after gains and Eq. I send my pedal board that ends with my preamp to my amp with the DI set to pre so my DI signal bypasses the amp gains and EQ.

Reedt2000 and BOOG like this.
  3. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Ok this helps

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It will bypass your amp's pre only if you run it in a line where it traditionally bypasses the preamp, such as a preamp in or effect return. Most amps allow you to bypass the amp's pre with the effect return. Me, I never went in for that. I just run them all in line regardless, and set their controls to where they sound like my regular amp sound.

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Are you getting a direct box, or a preamp, or both? What do you want this device to do exactly? Let you send a line to the front-of- house (the PA system)? Your amp may already have that capability. Is it for sound shaping? To add a tube in your signal chain?

MobileHolmes and BOOG like this.
  6. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks @JimmyM
    I am thinking the di to be used for foh and at the same time through more than one of my amps. In other words, I am wondering if it is practical to consider this an option with the same settings regardless of which amp. Ideally, I would be able to put it in a chain with any other amp and the same set of speakers and be able to use the same settings. The reason for the inquiry is I would like to find my settings for foh and on stage and then forget about it regardless of which amp is being used.
    Example... I line in an Ampeg scr-di with a Peavey or either of two different ashdown amps and I am not fighting those host amp settings and just bypassing them. How do I do this? Or, is this not possible?

JimmyM likes this.
  7. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    @Reedt2000
    Another approach to the problem...
    I run ashdown amps. If I decide that I want to have an Ampeg or GK preamp sound through the SCR-DI or PLEX, how do I chain the signal to completely bypass the ashdown sound and not have to compensate with settings on the ashdown to only get those characteristics of the PLEX, SCR-DI, or MESA-DI?

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 7:00 AM
  8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    If you are going into the effects return, you are skipping the preamp section, which gives an amp a lot of it's flavor, but diffferent power amps and different speakers are going to behave in different ways even if you are running the same DI/Pre into them. You'd be in the ball park, but might still need tweaks from one to the next

BOOG likes this.
  9. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Spidey2112 and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Those are preamps (with DI outputs), not DI boxes...

If you run the output from your (future) pedal preamp into the (instrument) input of your amp, than the amp's EQ is part of the sound.

If your amp has "power amp in" input (such as Ampeg SVT III Pro) than you can bypass amp's EQ by plugging there.

If your amp doesn't have "power amp in" input, you can try to use FX loop return input. Than it depends on the amp's design. Some amps' FX loops are post EQ. Some amps' FX loops are pre EQ (such as Markbass Little Mark).

BOOG likes this.