1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI on Gallien Kurger 1001RB-II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phillm47, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Has anyone directly compared the DI on a Gallien Kruger 1001RBII or 700RBII to stand alone DI boxes such a a Countryman type 85 or similar? What was the outcome? Did the GK hold it's own?

2. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I regularly use the the DI from my GK and have never had a complaint from a soundman. Once there was a guy a little hesitant when I told him there was a di on my head, but when I opened the rack he said "oh, ok, great, no prob."

So I don't know how it would compare, but it's been good enough for small/medium indie rock clubs.

3. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    I use the DI on my 1001-RBII at the Church to go into the PA (I also use my cab for a monitor/better tone) and it works beautifully. Using the DI boxes they had (Behringers, 'nuff said), they had to pretty much kill my signal on the board so it wouldn't clip, but with the head DI, even with the send at unity, they get a signal usable at their end with the bass channel close to unity.

4. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    before buying the behringer knockoff of the sansamp, i was hauling my 1001rbII to my church gigs and using the head's DI. always sounded awesome. i'd still do it, but the behringer sansamp wanna be DI saves a lot of time/wieght versus hauling my rack.

for rock gigs, my sound has been much better out front since i have gotten this head. for bigger shows (venues with large PA bass bins) i still have the 5 string switch on even when i play 4 string. boom! 12db at 20Hz.

no complaints from soundmen. if i think i'm too hot or not i can control the DI's volume. yeah!

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The GK DI is certainly usable. Its actually quite good.
    But realize you're comparing it to one of the better DI's
    on the market. The Countryman will sound better, but in
    most live situations you wouldn't be lacking using the GK DI.
    In many live situations you may not even hear the difference.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's very nice.
    When I showed up to a recent large venue gig with no DI and told the soundman I wanted to use my GK 1001rb-ii's DI.. He wasn't so sure. I told him to trust me - let's do it.

After sound check all doubts were in the trash, and it went flawlessly.

7. This would seem to be the general consensus, just curious is it was proved. or how well they actually compared.