1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI options...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeepCalls2Deep, Sep 23, 2008.

1. howdy guys (and gals)

My band is starting to play a lot larger shows/venues, and it seems that the majority of the time the sound crews want to run

bass > DI box > House/Amp

While I understand why they do it (though I wish they would use my xlr out), what I don't understand is why it seems they use some of the cheapest DI boxes they can find. So with that I am looking for a DI box to carry along with me.

A few things I would like to have... I would love it to have a tube, but it's not required. The other 2 things I pretty much require are a Mute Button, and some sort of DB pad. I would like the mute as I change basses a couple of times in our main set, and the DB pad since I use active electronics, and have a very hard attack. Other than that, something that will withstand the rigors of the road, and last a while....

Any ideas?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Very, very, very few DI's have a mute button. The only ones I can think of ATM are the Radial Bassbone and the Crews Maniac Bass Pre. Maybe the EBS Microbass too? I can't remember.

As far as rugged DI's, I know the regular search prohibits words under 3 letters, but the Google search does not. ;)

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Radial J48 would be a good match, but no mute.

In fact I can't think of any DIs with a mute, so I am interested in seeing what people come up with.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oops, forgot about the bassbone, and I own one :eek: The bassbone would also make switching between two basses very easy.

5. I just bought a bassbone from nastyn8c (fellow tb'er) and I can't wait for it to get here! In the meantime, I'm using an Aphex Bass Xciter. It's a decent DI. I can't complain. But the Bassbone has an effects loop too.

I've tried the sansamp BDDI, and I wasn't impressed.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Raven Labs MDB-1 was made for this application. Leave all your basses plugged in, and just push the in/out buttons to select. There are a couple in the ads right now. This one is priced well. The other one is a bit high. They usually go for around $200, but well worth it. It has a mute switch and aux send and return, too.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With what you want, you're out of the DI line and into the bass mini-preamp line. So far, for ruggedness, quality of tone, and versatility with power, you can't beat the EBS Microbass II. Got a great active DI with active pad, 2-channels with a very nice OD on channel 2, blendable FX loop and a mute switch, runs on 9v battery, 9v AC and phantom power. Its only bummer is the $400 price tag. The Bassbone is really good, but it's not as rugged, it's bigger, and its power options are limited. The BDDI...it's OK but I'm not crazy about it.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Good call! I forgot about that one. OP, go buy one of the ones in the classifieds. :)

9. Just wondering if the 2-channel setup in the MXR-80+ might work for you (as a mute?).

10. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    i love my mxr bass di+ no mute though

i think the bass bone by radial would be a good match

11. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Sadowski pre-di has a mute too and great tone to boot, ebs microbass II has mute too and so many other options to it, I would recomend either of these to you quite easily.

12. mxr di+ pedals are supposedly pretty good. theyve got built-in distortion as well
    the electro-harmonix bass metaphors pedal is decent from what ive heard. its got built-in distortion, and a compressor as well
    the aphex bass xciter has some good reviews and is fairly reasonable at the price. like the metaphors, its main purpose is a compressor
    then again, having tried neither of those 3 i cant exactly vouch for them...
    my church uses a tech 21 sansamp bass driver di box, and its great. i had the privilege of taking it home for a few days between practice and the sunday service, and there wasnt a tone i wanted that i couldnt get with it. it costs about $200, but if i had the money id buy it. they also make a 3-channel version which is the same thing ,only with 3 different memory banks so you can call up your own presets whenever
    behringer made a knockoff of the bddi, and its supposedly a good knockoff. i havent used one myself, but if its as similar to the bddi as they say it is, its gotta be good. only costs $30, and its got all the same controls as the bddi

13. Seems the need for a mute is narrowing your options, so why not use a muting tuner in front of the DI/preamp? Or if you already have a tuner elsewhere in the rig, you could make a simple mute footswitch very easily.

14. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    A little thread intrusion, what's the diference between the MXR DI and the Sansamp Bass Driver the seem to be very similar

15. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Apparently there isn't any difference between any of the bass preamp/DI's.

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Great DI's - Avalon U5, Radial JDI, Demeter Tube DI to name a few. For muting, I use my Boss TU-2 tuner pedal.

17. Thanks for all the great suggestions and info guys. I have a lot to look into :)

The tuner issue is something I am having to look into, as I am currently using a rack mount tuner. It works fine, unless of course the bass is in the signal chain to the house before it gets to the tuner.

Something else I am facing, is it seems my band is about to go wireless for the larger shows. (we still do alot of smaller venues where it wont be needed)

Gah, so much to rethink and re-configure. It's all very confusing for a "plug and play" guy.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I guess I can't come down on you too hard since I haven't used three of the four ones I named either... but I sort of draw the line when you say something is pretty good, decent, reasonable, "gotta be good", etc. without having used it and without much of a frame of reference. :meh: Better to just name items that meet the OP's parameters and let him/her/other users decide the qualifiers.

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I split my signal, one channel going to the amp, the other going to a VT Bass followed by a Radial JDI for the front of house. Works a treat. Mute achieved with a Korg Pitchblack!

20. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    A true bypass A/B box in front of any DI of your choice. I use a Loooper A/B with a bypassable fx loop. Sent the B to your tuner or absolutely nothing at all, and you will accomplish what you want. Or turn it around the other way and plug a bass into both the A and B, and switch between the two. As mentioned earlier, if you want a pad though, you're probably looking at the preamp route...