Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI or Mic?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Oct 20, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I hope I'm in the right forum here with this. I have a gig coming up and I really like my tone. I plan on running my cab on stage and running it into the PA also. Do I mic it or DI onto the PA? Can a Mic be used? Would I lose some of my tone if I went DI into the PA playing with the vocals and guitar's? I have an Ampeg 4x10 cab with an Eden WT_800 head, any suggestions?

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    any thoughts anybody mic'd a bass cab?

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    since my amp(Ampeg SVT-100) doesn't have a preamp out, I prefer a mic on my cab. A DI won't give me the grunt that the Ampeg has.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I'm thinking a lot of tone comes from my cab

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    same here

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    any special mic? what do you use?

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I like to use a DI because if I mic my 10's I get to bright of a tone and if I mic the 15 it sounds a bit muddy. So I run with a DI, as far as mics try a AKG D112 (I think others have more knowledge in this area than I do)

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    a 57 has worked well the times I've been miked. I don't really use much of the fundamental frequencies, more of a punchy mid tone that's in the 57 range.
    Although my band's album was recorded via DI or direct into the mixer/JoeMeek preamp.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I always use the DI out of my WT-300 or WT-800. An SM-57 would work fine to mic the cab, but I don't think the sound is so much better as to justify the hassle of miking and dealing with bleed and such. However, I know there are people here who would bludgeon me if they knew I said that.

oops.

10. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I bludgeon thee!!! Ye non miking bastage! :p

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I knew it ...

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Try a mixture of both. But unless you are playing a really big place, I doubt it matters much what is coming out of the PA; your stage volume may get your tone out there.

Try asking this in recording. They may have better answers in there.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Go read this (long) thread about live sound:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=103079

Anyway, I do whatever the sound guy wants which is usually DI.

I usually do a post-EQ send from the amp only because I have two basses plugged into my amp on most gigs. On gigs where I play only one, I'll DI before the amp (the preamp I use for my URB has a DI out).

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I will do one of two things. Run my cab and DI to the PA for fill, my cab being the main source of bass. Or run my cab and mic my cab into the PA. The PA will have vocals and two guitars mic'd into it too, my concern is muddying the mix. What to do?

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hey Munji,
    Just a regular 57, I seen those SM57 betas a little more highend? I never used the DI on my E WT800 before, can I run my cab and DI to the PA at the same time?

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Beta 57s are better. I paid $130 for my Beta 58As at GC, so the Beta 57 ought to be $20 less, or so. A regular SM-57 still would be fine for live gigs. And sure, you can run both the DI and the cab mic to the board on separate channels. Then you can try to get the sound guy to give you the best of both worlds.

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If I have to choose one or the other, I choose to mic...but I like to have the option of doing both when I can...with my current setup, the DI on my amp is pre EQ and front panel controls...so I can run a clean signal and an "affected" signal, and then mix the two.

18. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Our soundman used the sansamp for the DI, and an SM57 hanging in front of my 10"s. He mixed both down to his liking. It allows him to mix to whatever he wants to hear out of the subs.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, I don't have a mic yet, but the one show I've played with the DI sounded like trash, so micing for me. Hoping to get my hands on a Sennheiser e609 pretty soon.

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks! I like to keep it simple whenever possible, which is hardly ever but in this case I can. I like my tone I should just mic it and know it will sound good. But the option of DI is always there if I need it or we upgrade our PA system and get those 18" subs we were looking at. Right now with two Carvin 15's I am worried to go DI, Carvins are not the best for low end applications from my expierience. Thanks again!