Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI or miking?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by yawnsie, Aug 11, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, me and my band are set to continue our attempts at recording a demo (it's only been eighteen months - I'm starting to compete with John Turner :rolleyes: ), so I was wondering how people record their bass - miked up with an amp, or DIed? I just want to hear some other people's opinions, so thanks in advance for any replies.

2. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    hey yawnsie! i used to DI all the time, because i didn't like the sound of my bass cabinet. my favorite thing to do now is to mix the two( i just got a eden 210XLT). i usually di and mic at the same time and mix the two on my computer software. I don't do 50/50, it usually depends on room acoustics and the placement of the mic. I would recommend experimenting, it's actually really fun to do. Try placing the mic in different places, try cutting out a 2 liter bottle of pepsi and putting the mic inside and cut a hole somewhere on the top(never used it in the mix, but i'm thinking if i modify it something great will happen), try several mics and mix those. That's my suggestion. Good luck.

What kind of music do you play anyways?

guacamole

3. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    DI works just fine! Just run the bass through a decent DI box or some multiFX box and bypass it... The POD, digitech and boss are brands that i tried... If you are using a microphone try an ordinary Shure "SM57" and if you got money to spend get an AKG D112 or (and) an Electrovoice "RE20". I might have misspelled the maker of the RE20...

Good luck with your recording!

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks for the input. When I've tried to record in the past, I've always DIed, mainly because of the shoddy tone I get from my puny little amp. I play sixties kinda rock, so the DIed P-bass tone goes pretty well. However, I just wanted to try to see what different things I can get, seeing as we're recording the demo on our guitarist's computer.

I try some of the things you've suggested. Once again, thanks!

5. re. miking Laney amps, I actually managed to get a pretty decent miked tone out of my old Laney G150 and 4X10 ("Look to the skies" on The Now mp3.com page) - a really fat sound, that might fit with 60's stuff, also done using a cheap bass- a Hohner B2A. I think the engineer used an SM58.

DI'ing on the other stuff- okay, and with eq and effects (plugins for distortion etc.) can sound good.