DI or not to DI,that is the question?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 11, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thinking about getting a DI box, I have been reading a lot about them on TB, but which one. I have been thinking about a Fishman Pro Eq, the thing is I play a passive Rickenbacker and a Spector Rebop5 with EMG pups. I need the vesitility to be able to play with a passive and the active bass. I am not sure if I want a DI like the Sansamp or the MX80 because I don't think I want a tube emmulator of any distortion. I like the versitility of the EQ because I would just be fine tuning my tone with both basses and I already have effects and pedals to run it with. So to get to the point finally is my thought process on the right path here or is there another DI or product on the market in that price range that would serve me better?
  2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Try an APEX DI, I use one when I have to (I try to avoid going DI) and it allows you to cut or pad the signal. Or, just mic up your cab...

...but, I've been hearing about two great products, the Aphex Aural Exciter Stomp box and the BBE 100x and 1000 DIs, that are supposed to be really good as well. I'd check them out.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK, first off do you NEED one? If you own an amp that has an XLR out you can use that most of the time.

I have yet to go into any studio that didn't have a DI box to use. On gigs it's more of a crapshoot.

If you're just playing the local bar circuit or recording demos in project studios any DI will do, a decent passive one is your best bet, like a Whirlwind IMP2.

Active DI boxes have gotten even cheaper than passives (Behringer sells one for about $25!) but you have to deal with batteries or a wall wart if you're unlucky enough to run into a mixing board with no phantom power. A passive DI means one less thing to worry about.
  4. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    O.k., I know I'm not dreaming this, I saw a press release on Harmony Central, but I havn't found anything on the web about it. Radial was going to have a box for bass players with two inputs, one setup for passive basses, and another for active basses. You could switch between them, and there was some control to help match levels. There was also a sidechain effects loop and direct out.

Like I said, I havn't found anything else about it, but it sounds like something that people that use a combintation of different basses.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You're thinking about the Radial BassBone. Its on their revised web site. www.radialeng.com
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    so there are specific DI's for passive and active basses or am I misunderstanding this?
  7. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL

Yes, that's it. Thanks!

One prolem I have when using a passive bass and an active bass together is matching the level sent by the direct out. This box looks like you can setup two channels (one for a passive bass, one for an active bass) and switch between them, keeping the DI level equal (along with lots of other neat stuff).
  8. I emailed radial and they said the bassbone should start shipping in 3-4 weeks.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Well I just got a Eden head with a DI out so I think all I need is maybe 2 eq pedals, I run a Rickenbacker and a Spector, active and passive. So I am trying to get my levels right, two way different basses so I need to EQ a little differently for each bass. I was trying to kill 2 birds by getting a DI with seperate eq's and volume to solve the passive and active problem but my tone is two wierd, when one bass sounds good the other sounds like ass. I was hoping a DI would help that and at the same time get a DI for live gigs but I will try this angle.