1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Di out not powerful enough for PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JACink, May 19, 2012.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Hey guys, this is sort of a combo question, but I guess this is the right place to post.

First of all, I have a GK MB112, and I seem to be getting no output from the DI out. I have tried this from the MB directly to a mixing desk and also directly to a PA amp, but nothing. I have yet to open this to see if there is a wiring fault (are these wired or straight to the board?) as it is only 4 months old, but I bought this amp in Italy, and I currently have it in Spain, so I can't just take it back to the store under guarantee. Anyone know if these have a European/Worldwide guarantee, or do I need to return to the place of purchase?

Secondly, I have an active/passive DI, but for some reason, the output of this (even in active mode) is not powerful enough to drive a QSC amp without going through a mixing desk first. Is this common??

Thanks in advance for your help, as always!!!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes, the DI not driving a power amp is common. DI's are not preamps, and aren't intended to be used as preamps. Don't know what's wrong with the DI in your head but it doesn't sound like major bucks regardless of the warranty status. But I'm pretty sure moving it from one European country to the next won't void the warranty.

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Ok cool! Thanks Jimmy.

So the solution to the DI would be to add a preamp into the chain? Both my (regular) basses are passive, so should I just get an outboard Preamp rather than carrying a 16 channel mixer?!?!

I know everyone has opinions on preamps, but as I can't try before I buy, any input on a Pre that costs less than my basses? :D

4. There is a bit of doubt here, is there anything at all coming from the DI?

Any time you need to go into PA you need your DI working. The big boss GK man was on yesterday so help isn't far away, even in Spain.

Need to be sure the cable is ok and mixer not set for line input before going postal on it.
    Or is it good but you need a slaved amp?

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    To learn all the ugly details about preamps, check this:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/preamp.shtml

However, as confusing as my article could seem, any cheap little mic pre will work perfectly well to bring your DI up to line level. That's all that is going on inside the 16-channel mixer, to make your DI output strong enough, is a basic mic preamp on each channel. ART and Presonus are two popular inexpensive brands. Many of them also have a 1/4" input for your bass, so you don't need the DI box at all--the preamp includes the DI function.

If you need tone-shaping (EQ, overdrive, anything else), then you are looking at a much bigger spread of options as far as preamps to buy. They range in price from $40 to $4000 USD (no exaggeration), and they all offer something useful to somebody--so it becomes an epic journey ;) of finding out what kind of sound you want, what kind of price you can afford, which model of power amp you will be using, and which features you want. For example how do you feel about the Fender tone stack EQ? How about graphic or parametric EQ? A compressor? Dirt/overdrive? Footswitchable channels to select between tones? It goes on and on.

One starting place is to search on the word "preamp" both in the Amps forum and the Effects forum. Each has a LOT of discussion of all the many options available. Once you have read through many of those threads, you can help yourself to narrow down the range, by throwing out the ones that you can tell will be too expensive, too complicated, too simple, etc.

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the input guys!

@Downunderwonder: I´m a bit confused about your post. I can use the same channel with the same setup, and the DI box no problem, but with the GK it doesn't see any signal. I´m not quite sure what "postal" refers to, sorry!

@bongomania: I usually play through a Zoom B2 and then the DI box and then the mixer, if I need to go to the PA. If not I just use the GK combo which is plenty loud enough for practice etc. I actually have an Art MP at home that I have used for recording vocals, so this would work also? Should I use this instead of the DI Box or as well as?

Thanks again guys!

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Also, whats the user name of the GK guy? So I can ask him about the warranty issue.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes. Go amp DI into tubeMP, then out to poweramp. The MP will boost it enough to drive the poweramp, provided the amp DI is working properly.

User "rag" is Bob Gallien. There's also a couple users who work at GK. An email or call to customer service or tech support may be the best bet in finding a service center in Spain if you need one but check if your DI works using the MP. It may work and you just didn't have it hooked up right thinking it could drive a poweramp on it's own.

Also the DI on many amps is tied to the input gain control, so, you'd have to have the amp input turned up some to work. Keep the master down if you don't want the amp making sound.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think you are using two DI's, no? One built into a GK amp, and the other is a separate box? This was confusing in your first post--it seemed like maybe both DI questions were about just one device. So some of the responses may be based on that confusion.

Also, the US expression "go postal" means when you get so frustrated by life that it makes you go on a berserk shooting rampage. Employees at the US Postal Service occasionally go insane and shoot a bunch of their co-workers. So we say somebody "went postal".
    The ART MP is a very useful tool. When sending your signal to the PA mixer, your regular DI box is all you need. But if you need to drive a power amp, then you should use the ART. You can also use the ART in the first case, going to a PA mixer, but the extra gain is usually not necessary.

10. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for the explanation!

I hadn't come accross the "go postal" expression before!!

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

Does the MB112 have a line out ? My mB200 & mb500 do. If so, you take the line out to the QSC amp and it will work fine.

12. I was meaning that as well as posting the amp to GK service centre, badaboom-chik :D

Need to sort out if the GK di is working.

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, I should be home by the end of next week and I will try seting up to another powered mixer that I have laying around, see if the problem persists, if so I will repost and search for Mr Gallien!

(before I go postal! :D )