Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI out of the Effects Send???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzbassnerd, Dec 22, 2003.

1. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I really want to use a DI when playing live because my cab has throw speakers in it. (I think thats the name for speaker where the sound is projected about 8 feet away from the cone) The problem is that the DI built into my head is pre eq. I use the EQ to boost my mids a little and I really like that tone. Would plugging a DI in to effects send (which is post-eq) and then put the DI to the house work?

-nerd

PS. sorry if this has been discussed i could find it on the search.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Super Simple.

Run an instrument cable from your FX send to
    The PA mixer line in.

Your done.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Only if your Eff Send doesn't break the signal path from preamp to the power amp in your head. Some do, some don't ...

4. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    thank you guys for the responces. Im pretty sure the effects send doesnt break the signal path for pre to power amp in my head. Its and SWR Workingmans 2004 (the one they made before bought out by fender.) How should I check if it does or not??

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Do you mean you've got a horn loaded cab?

Alex

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You are probably correct. All you have to do to verify is try. Nothing is going to smoke if it doesn't.

If you have a recorder of some type, take the send there. Don't return a cable to the amp's return and if you have volume at the speaker - you're in. If not you need a DI that you can insert into the effects loop and those are myriad.

Just don't go to a gig assuming it will all work, eh ?

When you say 'throw' ... I suspect you are referring to the hole (in volume, not the physical port!) in front of a bass cab. Pretty much all cab's do that. You have to be quite far away from a bass cab to hear what you really sound like. I don't know the physics behind that 9Mr Gavin probably does), but I've stood in front of enough rigs to assume it to be true. One truism, if you get a nice loud, full tone next to your cab, it is probably muddy and very loud about 40 feet away. Drives sound men crazy ...

7. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    yes my cab is horn loaded. But i thought throw speaker were something different. I will definately test the effects send thing! Thank you guys very much

-Nerd

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The problem is that the DI built into my head is pre eq. I use the EQ to boost my mids a little and I really like that tone. Would plugging a DI in to effects send (which is post-eq) and then put the DI to the house work?

It'll work in many cases, but use a DI, not a direct feed, unless it's a balanced out (unlikely), or a short run. This isn't set in stone, many EFX outs can drive long lines just fine.

As a sound guy, I prefer to EQ bass myself, at the board. I usually have more tools (comps, parametric EQs, two swept mids per channel) available to me at FOH to get the best sound, and we would figure out what works best together. You may love your EQ onstage, but are you sure it sounds best with the same EQ in the FOH? The front of house speakers are likely very different than your bass rig's. I generally EQ bass in FOH to complement whatever the stage rig's putting out, and the EQ is rarely the same, IME. If your board is limited on EQ options, that could be another story. DIs on many amps are not so great, normally I'd prefer to use my own, pre-everything.