DI Outputs on bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway. Does phantom power on a DI out from an amp hurt it? Reason I am asking is the mixer we use for our band only has phantom power on/off globally. Its either on for all the channels or not. I had an SWR workingmans 10 and with the phantom on it blew the DI output on my amp. But, from what I understand, that is a problem with the older workingmans amps.

Now, I have an Eden Siver 2x8 combo. It has DI out with a variable level control. I want to make sure, if the sound guy turns on the phantom power, it doesnt fry the amp again. Any ideas??
  2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Make/buy yourself either a groundlift adaptor, or use an iso transformer. You could also, if the DI has enough level, use an XLR~TRS adaptor on the desk side and go into a line input. They don't have phantom...
  3. The amp has a grnd/lift switch on the back of it. So I should be OK if he has the phantom power on, right??

Sorry, I really know nothing about DI stuff
  4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

The problem is not in the grounding of the amp, etc. The problem with many DIs which are "built-in" to amps is that they conatin no transformers, of buffers to handle the 48v (sometimes more) which is used in phantom pwr supplies (usually to power condenser mics).

I ruined a very nice SWR Baby Blue amp due to this....many of the SWR product line cannot accept phantom power voltage under any circumstances.

I cannot speak for Eden...but my advice is to buy yerself a decent DI box which CAN handle phantom power voltages and use it. Simple enough remedy ( I always carry at least two DIs in my gig bag).
    On many boards the phantom power is global; one can never be sure. A god DI is a worthwhile investment to protect your amplifier.

5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    What are some good DI box's, may I ask?

As in just boxes to run straight into the PA and that's it, no tone coloration at all etc..
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  7. The basics are yes, but you DI's that are also pre amps n such, ie sansamp BDDI
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I wouldn't plug anything with phantom power into ANY of my bass gear unless I was 100% sure that it was rated to handle phantom power.