DI question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Jul 5, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    would this work..... bass ---- behringer BDI21----- xlr out-- with a xlr to 1/4 ---- to mixers 1/4 not a mic line. my question is would the singal sitll be balanced if i used the xlr to 1/4 cable into the mixer. or any DI for that matter.

2. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    I have one of these (BDI21) and run it into a Pa amp with a 1/4" input, I just use the BDI21's 1/4" outlet.
    If because of distance you really must use a balanced XLR output then you need an impedence converter to change the low impedence signal to high impedance for the 1/4" inlet(which is normally high impedance).
    This takes the form of an XLR input/transformer/1/4 plug
    Just use the 1/4" it will be easier and probably better quality signal.
  3. Nope. without a long explanation, two conductor = not balanced. Doesn't matter if it did run into a DI box.
  4. even worse is, that if you drop one side of a balanced signal, half your signal level goes with it.
  5. No, not really. If you loose pin 2 you loose your signal if you loose pin 3 you loose loose the reverse phase and have an unbalanced cable - and likely will have noise if it's a long run
  6. no, really. You can drop either pin 2 or 3 and still have signal... but;

A proper balanced input has a difference amplifier (amplifies the difference between two signals.) Given that the two signals are out of phase, the difference between them is in fact two times their individual amplitude (ie; from one signals peak to the other signals valley). Thus, if you ground one signal, the difference between the two is now only equal to ONE individual amplitude (from one signals peak to ground). Hence, half the level you would have if the balanced signal was retained and properly amplified.

Trust me dude, try it one day.